Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Weird stuff....

Started by Nerine, May 17, 2011, 01:55:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nerine

I think I'm going to give up breeding guppies for a bit :P I'm having too many issues with my current batch...

So I had a VERY pregnant female...a beautiful half black male with only a dash of orange in his fins...

Female goes into labour...she's an odd shape...and having some issues. a few babies pop out, and then BAM a baby pops out her side. how freaky is that?! the baby was inside her moving around a lot and while the mother died the baby goes out the side...(with the help of other fish picking at her body) how weird is that?! I think I'm gonna quit livebearers hahahaha with the platy not having enough to get my points, and the guppies doing weird things...I need some fresh blood. Like REALLY fresh, not Ottawa....

My last guppies were born with some crazy deformities, same with the platies...one platy had it's insides on the outside....I've had recently, two tails, no fins, no dorsal, no eyes, one eye, deformed faces, deformed bodies...it's like they are drinking the koolaide....  ???
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

HappyGuppy

Wow.  Extremely bizarr.  Sounds like you've lucked out with some bad genetics.  I would get rid of the guppies and get a new bunch.  Don't give up on them, they are cool fish and *normally* quite easy to enjoy.  Your situation is weird for sure, but not entirely unheard of for severely inbred fish.

RossW

I would have dreams/nightmares about those things occuring in my tanks!!!

Nerine

yeah I just got them again for bap points hehe I used to breed guppies like crazy back in the 90's :)  they are in a bucket now because I ran out of tanks hahaha but it's one of those clear ones so I still get to enjoy them! :)
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats

washefuzzy

I wonder whats in your drinking water! If you start to glow let me know.  :D

Nerine

ooooh I thought that was normal......  :o hehehe

Fishnut

If you want to try livebearers again, go for a species that is not far from it's wild form.  Most swordtails, platties and guppies are so inbred and have been for decades that they're incredibly hard to breed now.  You really need to get some fresh WILD blood!

Also, most live bearers in LFS's all come from the same supplier who gets them from the same farms.  Maybe try getting fish through other hobbyists in different areas.  Chances are the genetics might be more mixed up

Nerine

exactly, that's why i'm not buying any from the ottawa area as most are from florida!

exv152

I've heard some talk about guppies becoming more sensitive and dying easily from common ailments, something which never used to be as they were always known for being a robust and resilient species.  I'm sure, now from reading this thread, inbreading has played a major role. 
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

dan2x38

Quote from: Nerine on May 17, 2011, 01:55:36 PM
I think I'm gonna quit livebearers hahahaha with the platy not having enough to get my points, and the guppies doing weird things...I need some fresh blood. Like REALLY fresh, not Ottawa....

If you'd like I can check out some stock for you in Mtrl next trip or so. Can see what nature Pet has? LMK
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Nerine

yeah I like nature pet :) now that i'm closer I should go more often hahaha
thanks Dan! But I now live only a short distance away from them now!!