Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

55g tall sprung a leak

Started by dustinm, May 19, 2011, 10:31:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dustinm

I came home to a  puddle of water on my nice hardwood floors. Silicone let go at a joint. Not fun!
Thanks god it wasn't a full 55g. Only lost about 10g  a little more time and it would have been a real mess- leak was 3 inchs from the bottem of the tank

Luckily my 220g was fully cycled so thankfully I didn't lose anyone.but I am sure they are stressed to the max. So I got the fans going and keeping a close eye on my angels

What a nightmare.(Could be worse tho I guess)

reptile boi

good thing you had hardwood floors and not carpet! how old was your tank? any pics of the silicone area that gave out? im just curious so i know what to look for in my tanks.

thanks!

dustinm

Not sure of the exact age ,but was resealed about 3 years ago. I wiLl take some pics tommorow when I can find my good camara.

Yeah carpet would definatly ruin my weekend for sure

I am leaving for a camping trip this weekend so atleast it happened tonight rather than when I am gone ( I have someone feeding and taking care of the tanks when I am gone but that is a phone call I am glad I don't have to deal with)

dan2x38

Quote from: reptile boi on May 19, 2011, 10:59:20 PM
good thing you had hardwood floors and not carpet! how old was your tank? any pics of the silicone area that gave out? im just curious so i know what to look for in my tanks.

thanks!

Look at the seams and if you see bubbles in joint that is a sign of fatigue. if the bubble isn't to large or extends the entire width of the seam it is not serious. But when see many bubbles and/or they are getting larger it is time for action or an a potential accident.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."