Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Infuriating situation...need opinions.

Started by Fishnut, May 23, 2011, 03:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishnut

I got a new aquarium stand...which isn't really an aquarium stand but a wine cabinet.  The structure is appropriate and strong enough to hold a tank and it was only $130 at Rona.  Whoo Hoo!!

Unfortunately, whoever measured it before they put the measurements on the box was wrong.  Take a look at the pics and tell me if this is safe or if I'm risking the seal on my tank.

RebeccaB

Hopefully it works out for you, b/c it will look quite nice set up with fish!
Slowly venturing down the Amano path...

Saltcreep

Personally, I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Darth

the top 2 pics seems like there is room I can't see the tank overhaning at all, yet the 3rd pic the tank does so it's hard to tell from the pics but the overhang is mininmal

Fishnut

The other side is perfectly flush with the edge.  I'm too nervous so I guess I'll have to wait for a bit until I can get to Home Depot and get something that can sit on top of the cabinet so that the weight of the tank is supported evenly.

Ugh...just off by 1/4"...so frustrating!!

Nerine

don't do it!! I had a stand and the tank was hanging over the edge by a hair...I had a piece of wood cut to even out things and put it under it! just get something nice to put under it and finish it in the same colour, it'll just look like it has a fancy top!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

NanoSF

Wow I would be more worried about the weight. What makes you say it can hold this amount of weight? It is fairly tall too so it seems as though it might be prone to swaying if bumped into. I expect we are talking about laminated particle board/fiber board for that price. Seems like a bit of a shaky situation. If you think it is solid though I wouldn't worry about the overhang. I had a tank like that and nothing happened. However I do agree that adding one layer of wood painted black would look fine and easy the worries.

robt18

Should be fine. I had a 90 like that for years and nothing bad ever came of it. The inside of the glass is being supported and so is the trim, you should be fine!

Fishnut

Quote from: NanoSF on May 23, 2011, 06:02:08 PM
Wow I would be more worried about the weight. What makes you say it can hold this amount of weight? It is fairly tall too so it seems as though it might be prone to swaying if bumped into. I expect we are talking about laminated particle board/fiber board for that price. Seems like a bit of a shaky situation. If you think it is solid though I wouldn't worry about the overhang. I had a tank like that and nothing happened. However I do agree that adding one layer of wood painted black would look fine and easy the worries.

Yes, it's a cheaply made piece of furniture, but it has been reinforced. The wine shelves and middle components prevent it from swaying but we added an extra bit just in case.  Tomorrow the top is going to be added to in the form of a longer piece of wood painted in black :)

dan2x38

The tank is a standard 75 gallon I am guessing? That means the depth is 18"? I am serious here this is a concern when you look at the height. To centre is only 9" if you look at the height then add the weight of the water being 8.5 lbs/gal. plus tank approx. 140 lbs (see online) then add your decorations that is a lot of weight with such a high centre of gravity and narrow base. With a young one walking around it might topple?

I had a 38 gallon on a standard aquarium stand and it was 29" high and when the kids played in the living room it wobbled I always had to send them away from it. That is way less weight and lower centre of gravity.

I know we've not scene eye to eye but look at it from a physics stand point it could be risky with a young one clutching and grabbing when they cruise around. I forget the formulas (maybe others recall) but if you look at the weight, height & centre point it gives you amount of force to tip over. I know this number (force) will be low and likely surprise you.

The solution is simple to prevent that install a strap of something anchored it to the wall with a good drywall anchor though and that potential issue disappears.

I would add a piece of 3M foam under it they will cut it at Rona or HD to specs makes for s perfect clean cut. You get two cuts free after that it is a $1/cut. With a couple bucks you get a small can of spray paint and paint the edge of the foam black you'll never notice it. Could be some major stress risers there! I had a 38 gallon in my fish room over hang more than that it was fine but I used foam.

PS- just offering serious concern nothing more
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Fishnut

Off topic but I'll go with it...

Really?  I'm surprised form the pics you thought it was an 18" high tank...lol.  Perhaps I should have put something there for perspective ;D.  It actually measures 48" x 12.5" x 12.5"  :)

I don't feel safety is an issue at all but for the benefit of others who try different things, I'll justify why I chose this particular piece of furniture.  The base is one solid piece of wood...no legs, so it lessens the chance that it'll tip and it spreads out the weight more evenly across the floor.  It's just a teeny bit higher than most aquarium stands on the market that are built to house any tank that has a 48" x 12" base.  If you think about it, it's more stable than the metal tube stands that a lot of people have their tanks sitting on.  Since it's also a few inches wider than the tank, it creates even more stability.  We've tested it by standing on it, sitting on it, wiggling around while sitting on it, etc.  This is how we discovered that it needed to be reinforced to prevent swaying.

Don't worry, I know how to do things safely.

Oh yeah...that power bar is normally tucked away out of reach :)

dan2x38

Disclaimer: this is not to debate or argue with anyone but to offer sincere concern & help!!! Below is link of some stats of tip overs and kids they startled me. It would be nothing to hide a strap of some type in the back mounted the stand then the wall to prevent this potential 100%. In earthquake locations such a scrap is recommended plus adding a lip on the stand so the tank cannot slid what so ever.

http://www.parenthood.com/article-topics/keep_kids_safe_from_furniture_tipovers.html

I'm sorry the perspective of the picture threw me off I figured it was a 75g use to looking at mine (LOL) I stand corrected thank you. But that could make things a little worse for balance believe it or not because it is more narrow >18".

I dug up the physics formula (been a long time) and calculated the force to tip the tank over to be less than 88lbs. That is considering the tank is perfectly level not out a fraction. If not leveled even a slight bit it makes the force less for tip over. The calculation also assumes the gravel is distributed  equally over centre of gravity and all decorations as well. Obviously if any of these are off centre towards the front it lessens the force to tip over the tank. Plus if the water starts splashing back and fore as it moves towards the front the entire centre of gravity is moved forwards and the weight distribution is seriously affected reducing the the tip over force a great deal. Additionally, I estimated weight and height of stand if the stand is even higher it makes the force even less to tip it over. Add any of these negative factors in the equation (sorry beyond me) the tip over force is greatly lessened! This is not an exact calculation since there are a couple variables but is very close to the real force +/- a couple lbs.

Here are my calculations I think they are correct:

water: 31 gal. * 8.5lbs = 263.5lbs
tank weight = 140 lbs
gravel @ 2.5" (approx) = 97lbs online calculator
decorations (approx) = 25lbs
cabient weight (guessing) = 150lbs
Total weight (approx) = 675.5lbs
tank dimensions = 48" x 12.5" x 12"

stand is 36" (guessing) high & 12.5" deep & 48" wide

T=Fl, where T = torque, F = force, l is lever arm
F(mass) * l(mass) = F(applied) * height
F(mass) = 675.5lbs
l (mass) = 6.25"
height = 36" + 12" = 48"

Gives,
F(applied) = F(mass)*l(mass) / height
F(applied) = 675.5lbs * 6.25"/48" = 87.95lbs

Force to tip the tank is 88 lbs on a level surface assuming gravel level and over centre of gravity and water not moving. These factored in would drastically changes the centre to mass calculations and seriously lessen the tipping force required!

This post is not done for any other reason then concern and to offer some info. I might have that can benefit another hobbyist and parent. I hope this is of help and taken in that light only.
Voltaire:

Brent Shaver

Another option if you really like the stand, just go to Rona, HD and get a piece of 1 inch plywood and paint it the same color.  If you get it the same size of the tank bottom and center it over the stand you should be fine.

I think it will look really good if you keep this stand.

P.S.  If you are concerned with movement I can give you a couple braces they use for ovens to secure them to the wall and you can strap it.  If you want them let me know and I will put a couple aside for you.

Saltcreep

Dan, just a couple of points. The thickness of the glass for this tank looks to be about 5/16", so not overbuilt - standard tank. I have moved a lot of tanks over the years and I can't see that tank's dry weight being 140 lb. Second, wouldn't all those additions to the tank that you've included in the total mass, displace a quantity of water (depending on their density)? That displacement times the mass of the water displaced must be removed from your overall total.

I also wonder just how much force a child who is young enough to not yet know, "we don't touch the fishtanks", could actually apply in this situation - 88 lb is a lot of force, and the tank is inaccessible from all but the front.

I'm not saying that the idea of a retention strap is a bad one, because it's a good one, but in my opinion, and from my experience, and given the low-profile of the tank itself, I would say that the setup as shown, is as safe, or safer than most of us have in our homes.

My apologies for continuing the OT. Fishnut was asking about the tank seals.

Hookup

I really tried to not post...

My only concern is the compression in the stand.  Which should be fine so long as it's not fiber board and you don't get it wet.

My assumption is that the bottom pane of glass is supporting the side panes..

I.e. Via photo... You have this...

|
_____

Not this

|
|------

Just wanted to add... I would also advise adding the 3/4" plywood to the top, painted down to match and your laughing...  Don't forget to add stryo under it too...

Nice looking stand for sure!

dan2x38

Yes I hear you Saltcreep but if there is any percentage of it tipping and a child injured wouldn't a 5 minute installation of a support strap be worth the time?

Also a support strap will prevent any swaying so reduce any risk of undo stress on the joints because once leveled it wouldn't change. So scraping it would serve two purposes.

Your right my calculation for the tank was considering a 75 gal. (had that in my head) but if the weight is less then the force of tip over is less since the weight is a factor. The tank actually weighs 52 lbs so the force to tip over calculates to 76.49 lbs almost 11.5 lbs less.

Either way just making a point that it can happen with a lower force than one might think. Yes there are many considerations like actual height of the stand? In the end if there is a risk reduce it - same as if it were an electrical issue why risk it?
Voltaire:

Fishnut

Saltcreep and Hookup...thanks SO MCUH for not thread jacking!  It's not rocket science to figure out how safe something is to put a tank on. Then again, there are people in this world who are stubborn enough to do something they shouldn't with all kinds of items, so maybe it's something that needs mentioning for future readers.

Anyways, the whole purpose of this thread is to determine if that very slight over-hang on the edge is risking the seal on my tank.  I decided that it's a risk I'm not willing to take so we have been to Home Depot and we have purchased a couple pieces of wood to paint and add to the stand.  I say 2 pieces because if I'm adding length to the top, I need to add it to the bottom.  It's going to look great!!  Depending on how much time I have, I might even get some nice trim to add to it! :D

Nerine

you know that stand is most likely made out of the same stuff tank stands are. if they get wet, they are toast. they are all just painted. i had a stand that got chipped, and yeaah it swelled up real fast.

looking forward to seeing the tank set up!

if you want crazy...I used a cheap coffee table that had only middle support and had piano casters for a 55g....
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

Stussi613

I think you're on the right path adding the wood to the top to ensure there is no overhang.  Based on the pictures you have provided I don't think there would be any stress applied to the bottom glass, but safe is better than sorry where living quarters and 75g of water are concerned.

Not to thread jack further... A strap wouldn't hurt, but realistically the force required to tip the tank over would have to be applied at the the upper lip of the tank (likely out of reach of the age group that would consider doing it), and constant enough to move the entire tank AND stand beyond the pivot point where it would tip over. I think that the junior physicist(s)s on this site may have overlooked the amount of torque that would have to be applied, it's one thing to exert 77 pounds of force on an object...but quite another to do it long enough to move that object past it's pivot point.

Again, I hate to thread jack, but one of my pet peeves is when people try to apply formulas they looked up on the internet when they don't apply to the situation...
I haz reef tanks.

Fishnut

For the record, Dan was assuming the tank was 75 gallons. It's actually only 40.