Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Infuriating situation...need opinions.

Started by Fishnut, May 23, 2011, 03:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mseguin

If it's only a 40, it SHOULD be fine, but emphasis on the should, not for sure. I've had tanks sit like that just fine and had no issues, but I've also had tanks burst for seemingly tiny reasons. I would try to put foam or something underneath to redistribute the weight, so you don't have a bunch of weight being put at the corner that's off.

Hookup

Quote from: Fishnut on May 24, 2011, 10:55:03 PM
Saltcreep and Hookup...thanks SO MCUH for not thread jacking!  It's not rocket science to figure out how safe something is to put a tank on. Then again, there are people in this world who are stubborn enough to do something they shouldn't with all kinds of items, so maybe it's something that needs mentioning for future readers.

Anyways, the whole purpose of this thread is to determine if that very slight over-hang on the edge is risking the seal on my tank.  I decided that it's a risk I'm not willing to take so we have been to Home Depot and we have purchased a couple pieces of wood to paint and add to the stand.  I say 2 pieces because if I'm adding length to the top, I need to add it to the bottom.  It's going to look great!!  Depending on how much time I have, I might even get some nice trim to add to it! :D

Cool!  That'll make you sleep a bit more soundly..  And 40gal is not that much..I too assumed 75 gal...

Enjoy

dan2x38

Quote from: dan2x38 on May 23, 2011, 08:08:53 PM
I would add a piece of 3M foam under it they will cut it at Rona or HD to specs makes for s perfect clean cut. You get two cuts free after that it is a $1/cut. With a couple bucks you get a small can of spray paint and paint the edge of the foam black you'll never notice it. Could be some major stress risers there! I had a 38 gallon in my fish room over hang more than that it was fine but I used foam.

PS- just offering serious concern nothing more

...geese didn't someone say that at the beginning?  8)
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Feivel

QuoteQuote from: dan2x38 on May 23, 2011, 08:08:53 PM
I would add a piece of 3M foam under it they will cut it at Rona or HD to specs makes for s perfect clean cut. You get two cuts free after that it is a $1/cut. With a couple bucks you get a small can of spray paint and paint the edge of the foam black you'll never notice it. Could be some major stress risers there! I had a 38 gallon in my fish room over hang more than that it was fine but I used foam.

PS- just offering serious concern nothing more

...geese didn't someone say that at the beginning? 

First quote hope i did it right. :)

Im guessing you have never tried to paint styrofoam :) pretty cool what happens to it yet not very usefull afterwards :) The styrofoam melts. ALSO, I have an aprox 20-25g sitting ontop of a TV stand (like right over the opening) nothing seems to have come of it. Been there for a year now I think you should not have any worries ... Well actually Since it looks like its from ikea (no offence just dont trust their strenght) i think it's a good idea you reinforced it and endorse the wall brace idea, mind you, I didn;t do anything to my TV stand.

Last note, I noticed in the first 2 pictures the tank seems to sit like 1/2" inside the edge yet the third picture looks like it is pretty flush. how is that??? was the tank moved? what happened there?

cheers

dan2x38

Enamel paint from Home Hardware in small cans for a couple bucks... the cans are for small jobs or that is how they are promoted. Be nice to get black foam though. Could cover the edge with that black film stuff and glue in place? I've scene the foam melt (sort of) your right not useful... that is the lacquer in those paints they do that since it is an acetone base.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Fishnut

Quote from: Feivel on May 25, 2011, 09:45:25 PM

Last note, I noticed in the first 2 pictures the tank seems to sit like 1/2" inside the edge yet the third picture looks like it is pretty flush. how is that??? was the tank moved? what happened there?

cheers

It's because the stand is wider than the tank.  It's not sitting on the front edge of the stand...at the angle I was standing, it just looks that way.  Trust me...it's flush with one side and SLIGHTLY hangs over the opposite side.

Nerine

psst - it's from Rona ;) four letters, and ends in an a, so close hehe ;D
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts