Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Driftwood/Roots found outside

Started by ottawa11, May 27, 2011, 06:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ottawa11

Hey guys, I got another question (sorry if Im putting too much thread) but can you use say  branches and roots dug up in my backyard for my aquarium?  If so, do I just boil it in hot water and for how long?

thanks

Feivel

ya know i was trout fishing with a friend the other day and i was looking at the branches that look like driftwood sitting at the bottom of the lake and was thinking the same thing. what if i seen a nice piece could i use it in my tank? and the procedures to do so.
thanks cheers

dan2x38

I've used river driftwood but boiled the crap out of it. Large pieces you can cut in half then later drill a hole in each piece use a wooded dowel or stainless steel rod to piece back together. I know of some others here have done the same with great success. You want to stay away from evergreen and remove any bark. I know a few who have grabbed branches removed the bark then put in their tanks - it was off of hardwood trees. They used rocks to hold them down until water logged. Try to get wood from out of the city so there is less chance of pollutants. There are some potential issues with pesticides and other chemicals released to kill certain algae and/or control invasive critters. So there is a chance for introducing some nastys exercise caution but Yes it is doable & I did. :)
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

ottawa11

I did some research and found out the wood I was going to used for my driftwood is a no no. Its red cedar and read that it could poison and kill my fish. It`s too bad as it was a nice looking piece, I guess I`ll go to a LFS and buy one there.

Nerine

yes it's better to buy if you're unsure :)

Plus you can get some that are anchored to slate so it won't float away!!

and don't worry about posting, that is what OVAS is for!! ask your questions!! (come to the BBQ and pick people's brains if you'd like!!)
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

magnosis

I've heard of people treating wood from the "outside world" with epoxy.

This is one [very creative] example among others : http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/aquascaping/127131-my-log.html