Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Some great LFS Finds!!

Started by Fishnut, June 02, 2011, 10:17:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishnut

I've FINALLY found a fish that I have been wanting to keep since I saw it's picture in my Baensch Aquarium Altas...the licorice gourami!!  I was so excited that I swear I could have bought the entire tank full, but I restrained myself at 4...two pairs, I hope!  I set them up in their own little 5 gallon tank, got some water from an established tank that was loaded with natural blackwater, a pre-seeded sponge filter, a piece of driftwood and a hunk of moss.  I put my 4 fish in the tank and haven't seen them much since ;D ;D ;D.  These little guys are TINY!!  Not even a cm IMO.  I'm hatching some BBS to feed them...maybe entice them out of the moss clump :)

I also found another little gem...Danio erythromicron.  It resembles the size and shape of the CPD but it has vertical stripes instead of spots.  They're from the same country as the CPD but warmer waters.

On top of my great finds, I saw some great looking catfish!!  I saw, for the first time, fully grown Emerald Green Cory Catfish...Brochius something-or-other.  Mine are still small by comparison at only 2"  These suckers were 4"!! :D  Stunning!  I'm almost tempted to get a few of the big ones.  ARG...must resist!!  I have no appropriate quarantine tank for a fish that size!!

The following pics are not my specific fish...thanks to the www, I don't have to post blurry pics of a fish darting into moss ;D

ottawa11

those fish looks awesome! Which LFS did you find those ?

Fishnut

BA...combo of both locations. :D

morrom

Good day,

Nice Find for sure!
I have been looking at getting Danio Erythromicron for my new 26G tank, a very intresting fish.
Which store did you find these fish at?

MorroM

Nerine

BA = Big Al's :)

I'm glad I don't live too close to BA's anymore HAHAHA I'd be broke ;) hehe
awesome finds!!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

Fishnut

The Danios were at the Big AL's in Kanata.  $4.99 each.  They had a large group of them in the tank.  They're a bit on the skinny side but they have great energy and alertness.

magnosis

Wow they are absolutely beautiful !!  Congrats !!

mseguin

Oliver Lucanus has some very cool small gouramis, similar species, but different pattern, very neat. I forget the species name off the top of my head but same genus.

Fishnut

I had to go re-check my email list...yeah!  He has some really interesting wild betas!  If only I had more quarantine tanks!

dan2x38

The Danio erythromicron are stunning. I bet they are as easy to breed as the CPDs. I do miss my f/w setups at times...  :D would love to try my hand at breeding those little characters.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."