Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Temperature maybe an answer to 'stuck' cycles

Started by jaracas, October 12, 2005, 10:40:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaracas

i always do a fishless cycle as i am setting up 20g 'rubbermaids' to set up a fish breeding and growout section in our basement.
i have noticed that some cycles take longer than others although i always 'seed' from established filter sponges, so put it down to that.
i have also noticed that the majority of people experiencing problems haven't yet added the heater.
so i got thinking and i did some research.
apparently there are optimum temperatures for each bacteria to grow.
Nitrosomonas (Ammonia to Nitrite) = 95f
Nitrobacter (Nitrite to Nitrate) = 100f
so what i am going to do is set up 2 20g this weekend (they will come in handy for something), one heated to 95f and one at room temp (i will record this), with no substrate or decor and both will have an Elite double sponge filter and no water changes until the cycle has ended.
I am going to use 'aged' water with no chemicals whatsoever (i dont anyway when setting up) and add exactly the same amount of ammonia (measured) at each addition just to see the difference in the cycle rate.
i will record the results as i get them here

squeeker

That should be interesting!  Let us know how it goes...

zapisto

hi ,

i hope your result will confirm what i always think :) and believe :)
if not i will have some question to ask myself , to know where i got the impression i was true by heat all the tank i am starting over.

that will be an interesting subject to follow.

excellent experience.

jaracas

will do.

i know some have said that it is not Nitrobacter that is responsible for NItrite to Nitrate but Nitrospira.
But the scientific papers i have been reading state that Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter are the main two with Notrospira (and a few others) have a contributing autotrophic effect on both the Ammonia AND Nitrite

but the point of my experiment is the effect of heat on the reaction

luvfishies

I think you'll find that the warmer tanks (within reason, of course) will definately cycle faster.

jaracas

Quote from: "luvfishies"I think you'll find that the warmer tanks (within reason, of course) will definately cycle faster.

that i realise, we are growing bacterial cultures, my point of the experiment is to find out the difference at specific temperatures in a set volume of water

even those that heat tanks during the cycle don't heat the water to 95f though.

maybe i should set up one at room temp, one at 80f and one at 95f so i can see the diffence to a 'normal' tank temperature too.
remember 95f is the optimum for Nitrosomonas and i am 5 degrees lower than the optimum for Nitrobacter, anything above the optimums and the growth rate drops again up until the death of the bacteria at 120f.

basically i am trying to show that by upping the temp to an optimum level we can shorten the cycle time by an appreciable amount without any loss of water quality