Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Anyone test their tap water lately?

Started by squeeker, October 12, 2005, 12:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squeeker

I tested my tanks today with my new master test kit, and decided to test the tap water as well.  The readings for the tap water was as follows:

Ammonia:  0.25
Nitrite:  0
Nitrate:  0
pH:  8.6-ish

Is this normal?  I haven't tested tap water for months, but last time I did, there was no ammonia, and the pH was around 7.4!  If it makes any difference, I live near Baseline and Clyde, not far from Algonquin college.

artw

baseline and clyde. yeah I used to live over there and the PH always comes out high but goes down to around 7.4 after a day.   I never detected ammonia. you may wanna doublecheck that or call the city. ammonia should be zero.

darkdep

Is it possible that an Ammonia test could be picking up the ammonia stored in Chloramine?

squeeker

maybe... but I didn't use any water conditioner, so it shouldn't have changed anything.

Maybe I'll try to contact the city, just for fun!

luvfishies

My water fluctuates spring and fall as well. It usually settles to basically the same values after 24 hours, except NOW when there's so much freaking chlorine it STINKS!

srenka

I read ammonia in my water as well.  The city uses ammonia in their disinfection process.  Here is the link to city of Ottawa water quality reports:

http://www.ottawa.ca/city_services/water/wq_reports/27_2_1_en.shtml

sarenka

squeeker

Mettle

Ammonia in there, huh? Well isn't that incredibly annoying... We do water changes to have good quality water and we're just pumping in ammonia. How silly.

Aiglos

Quote from: "Mettle"Ammonia in there, huh? Well isn't that incredibly annoying... We do water changes to have good quality water and we're just pumping in ammonia. How silly.

If you have a cycled aquarium this ammonia will be gone before your fish are even effected by it.