Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

e-Readers ?

Started by Nerine, July 22, 2011, 01:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nerine

What are your thoughts on e-readers? I'm thinking about buying one and trying to justify the cost...because with that money I could be buying a lot of books ;)  I don't want to BUY books for it, but there are thousands and thousands of free books available thru Project Guttenberg  and the library....Soooo it might be something worth it for traveling??

I'm going to be traveling in August and we are very limited on what we can bring...so was thinking an e-reader would be the way to go. I'm looking at a 1st Gen Kobo, and I KNOW it's not perfect or loaded with features, I don't want that. I want e-ink, simple and it SEEMS to be ok to me...I know the pages turn slower than paper but like I said, going to have very limited space to bring things...I don't want to lug around giant copies of books ;) hehehehe My Bronte Sisters collection is all in one binding...and it's HUGE. :)

Soooo thoughts? :)
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

Darth

bought a kobo for my wife loved it so much bought one for my daugter I love them!!

brotherluv

If you plan to read outside...kobo all the way...we've got two.  One was a gift and I won one at work.  Depending on the current price, and depending whether or not you plan to read outside you might want to invest in an iPad instead.  IPad doesn't work well in sunlight but has many more functions!  Kobo however comes pre loaded with several great classic books, my recent one has 100 I think.  Regardless to which way you go, they are both worth the investment!

gerryo

Don't have one myself but, the military recommended them for the people sent to Afganistan.  Our son got one and says it sure helped with his time over there.

Maybe I'll borrow it when he comes back next week.

Greatwhite

My mom has a Sony ereader and loves it because she can make the text big enough for her tired old eyes to read...

Personally, I like my iPad too much to replace it.  You can get anti-glare film for it if you want to read outside...

Darth

the kob you can change the font size as well and cost effective if you just want to read books the e-reader is a better option.

Hookup

Wife has the Kobo..  It works.

I have the kindle, it's hands down better.

If you can get it cheap, and can get hooked up with some free or loaner books, it's a good enough system...  Battery life is crazy short...  On a two week vacation the kindle didn't dent it's battery... Including 12 hrs of flying/reading.   The kobo was recharged several times...  So keep a charger handy and your good-to-go...

The kobo did break... The nav button literally separated from the unit...  Was fixed over the counter at chapters...   

Darth

my battery on the kobo lasts forever my niece has the nook and loves it as well, what i comes down to is e-readers are cool its just a matter of which one you want

nelson

Do yourself a favour and spend the extra to get an iPad2......book reader and SOOOO much more!

Nerine

yeaaah if you're paying sure ;)
I wish! I don't have that kind of $$$ though....I just volunteer here HAHAHAHA

but still thinking :D Kindle's are stupid expensive in Canada!!! I'd buy one in the states lol!
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats

Darth

Quote from: Nelson on July 22, 2011, 05:20:01 PM
Do yourself a favour and spend the extra to get an iPad2......book reader and SOOOO much more!
I think the hype for these tablets are ridiculous, all it is a netbook with t a touchscreen its a big iphone that can't make calls, I say again why buy an ipad if you just want to read books, it's like buying a cement truck to putty holes from nails in your walls, don't believe the hype, buy what you need and don't give into the "apple"

kobo under $150 worth its weight in gold

Nerine

it's a 1st Gen...would I be happy with a 1st gen or should I get the newest one with the touch screen? LOL so many decisions...going to go look at them again on monday

garnpet

Love my iPad but personally I find it's too large for reading books.  I actually prefer my iPhone for books.

If you like the iPad flexibility idea but not the price and if small is not an issue what about an iPod Touch?

It's not for everyone though.
1 fish, 2 fish, <°{{{><  , <°{{{><  

drboeing

I love my KOBO, they have had some issues with update bugs and such, but are pretty responsive to customer complaints, I do buy books on it, and they offer deals regularly.

My biggest complaint was that the Chapters on comes preloaded with 100 "classics" and most of them dont rate as classics to me, but they couldnt be removed from my library, KOBO has created a way to delete or store the classics we dont want cluttering up the memory, it was a worthy investment.  Be sure to travel with the charger though, I found on vacation that Id start it up, then 5 min later put it down because of a distraction, it would put itself to sleep again eventually, but I think the start up and shutdown ate a lot of my battery, and I wound up bookless on the flight home, but that was my error for being too lazy to pack the charger.

Nerine

sounds good :) Best buy seems to offer refurbished ones...

and I agree, the 100 classics...wellll I haven't read a few of them, but Some are NOT classics :P Dickens...really? :P I never!

the hubby wants me to buy a brand new one, says it would still have the warrenty soooo maybe that will be an early birthday present? or a late anniversary present? LOL

Darth

this hobby never ceases to amaze me thought my anthia was gone haven't seen him in the tank, and then today he just pops out like nothing was wrong