Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

gravel in bottom of a tank

Started by NjOyRiD, October 16, 2005, 08:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NjOyRiD

What is the best way to remove gravel on the bottom of a tank.
I used a glass but, i still have some.
I could use a shop vak, but I'd liek to keep my gravel :)
thanx
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

Julie

I used my childrens'  plastic sand strainer.

Julie

Mettle

Those little plastic kiddie shovels for the beach work great to remove those tiny fragments and bits as they can get right down to the glass bottom of the tank and still scoop very well.

Might be hard to find at stores now though since it's not summer. But I'm sure someone on the board might have one for you.

darkdep

Assuming the tank is empty?

Personally, I get as much as could with a scooper of some kind, then switch to a plastic spatula.  I have one with little sides on it.  It does pretty good.  Once that's no longer effective, shop vac.

Jim

I use a cool whip container to put it in a medium bucket that is inside the tank then dump the medium bucket into a larger bucket that is outside the tank.

luvfishies

I use a NEW kitty litter scoop. Works great!

PNA

If the tank's big enough I find a plastic dustpan works great!

328iGuy

Quote from: "PNA"If the tank's big enough I find a plastic dustpan works great!

This is what I use....works fantastic!  8)

NjOyRiD

370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

Beardy

goldfish4ever

Quotei flip it over and shake

LoL - try "shaking a 30+ gallon tank. THose things can be pretty heavy even empty.

Beardy

be strong lol , i shook my 75 lol

Evan

Quote from: "luvfishies"I use a NEW kitty litter scoop. Works great!

it works great and the scoop is like $2

BigDaddy

Just clean out your shop vac and recover the gravel when you are done...

PaleoFishGirl

If you just want the little bits of gravel that weren't removed during the 'scooping', use a wad of wet/damp paper towel.  Press it down on top of the gravel and most of the little bits will stick into the paper towel.

Rick

Or
Once you have removed most of the gravel add a bit of water and siphon what remains.