Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Polishing Material for Fluval

Started by Julie, October 17, 2005, 08:26:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julie

Hi, wondering what everyone uses in their canister to polish the water besides filter floss?

tx,
Julie

darkdep

To polish?  Well, considering that canisters are not really good mechanical filters in general, I use filter floss to polish as best as can be expected.  All I use is sponge, floss, and rings.

Julie

Dark:  do you get your floss from BA?
Also I see you're into africans, any suggestions for some nice colourful "relatively peaceful" africans?

thanks,
:) Julie

BigDaddy

Get your floss from Walmart.

Go to the sewing section and pick it up there.  Much cheaper.

Julie

Hey bd, someone told me a bed sheet would work - will it??

Julie

328iGuy

Quote from: "Julie"
Also I see you're into africans, any suggestions for some nice colourful "relatively peaceful" africans?

thanks,
:) Julie

I would recommend Peacocks for colourfulness for sure....

In fact I have a pair of Aulonocara Baenschi (Wild) if you are interested, priced to sell at $25 :).

Also I am doing an order this week from Quebec Cichlides if you would be interested in any and we can split the shipping cost of $25?

Julie

Thanks for pointing me in that direction - they certainly are nice and colourful.
However I should have mentionned my tank is only 20 gallons and planted and I have some dwarves in there already.
Do quebec cichlids have a web site?

tx
Julie

328iGuy

Quote from: "Julie"Thanks for pointing me in that direction - they certainly are nice and colourful.
However I should have mentionned my tank is only 20 gallons and planted and I have some dwarves in there already.
Do quebec cichlids have a web site?

tx
Julie

Ok nevermind this pair then :).....

Yah they do.....their fish list is located on it as well.....the site is:

http://quebec-cichlides.com/index-eng.html

Julie

Any really colourful dwarves?  What size of tank does your pair require?

Julie

328iGuy

Quote from: "Julie"Any really colourful dwarves?  What size of tank does your pair require?

Julie

Not sure on dwarves, never kept any.....

I would say minimum 55G......

darkdep

Hi Julie,

BD has it right...get the floss from Wal-mart.  It's the same stuff.  Don't pack it in your canister too tight, just fill the basket without too much compacting and you'll see it does a great job.

As for Africans, peacocks are great but at 20gal, you simply don't have enough room.  55gal is really the recommended minimum for a lot of Africans (at least, most of the ones I deal with), although you can get away with a 30gal for some of the smaller species if lightly stocked.  I have a nice 30gal setup with Yellow labs and Cobalt Blue Zebra's that is working very well.

You can't go wrong with Yellow Labs for colour and passiveness in the African world, although they are not terribly exciting personality-wise.

Unfortunately, other than those, everything else I'm playing with is larger...