Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

ID plz

Started by Kx03, September 24, 2011, 09:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kx03

i got this fish to day and the tag side panted swetlips but when i googled it did not come up as that
and what dose he eat ? the same as other swerlips frozen bllod shrimp?
and yes i no my tanks drity i lost my thingy :D

NjOyRiD

370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

Darth

300 gal tank min wow remind me never to get one of those

JetJumper

It looks like a sweet lips to me.  I hope you have a LARGE tank!!!!!!!!!!
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

az

AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

SeaKing

I'm curious... which thingy did you loose?   ;)

Kx03

:'( i dont think i can keep it  :'(
and i lost my blade to clean the glass  ;D

NjOyRiD

Quote from: az on September 25, 2011, 12:18:17 AM
very close Phil but its a lined sweetlips juvenile.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+33+177&pcatid=177

thanx, didnt even know there was different kinds of sweetlips
very interesting!
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

Kx03

where is some where that i can take it that they ill give me store credit besides big al's

NjOyRiD

Quote from: Kx03 on September 25, 2011, 04:36:02 PM
where is some where that i can take it that they ill give me store credit besides big al's

where did you get it?
370g System

Greatwhite

Quotewhere is some where that i can take it that they ill give me store credit besides big al's

Where can you go to get store credit other than Big Al's??  I'd have to say NOWHERE.  You can't really bring something you bought at one store to another regardless of what it is.  I don't think that any fish shop in their right mind would carry a fish like this, so you are stuck returning it to where ever you bought it from...  I just hope for your sake that you bought it locally - and it wasn't mail-order.

You didn't answer the important questions... How big is your tank?  And where did you buy it?

It pays to research a fish before you buy it to avoid problems like this.  Of course, if you bought it locally - the sales person should have known better than to sell it to someone with anything less than a 300g tank. :(

Hookup

I've bought stuff before and got home to realize I didn't really know what I was buying... 

Not good at all, but I'd be calling the kettle black if I said otherwise.

Trying to return the fish is a good plan. 

Maybe someone has a need for such a fish and a big tnk who will take a donation?

NjOyRiD

only me and you got a big tank here :(
370g System

Kx03

lmao i only have a 30 gal  and i got it at big al's they just dont give a good credit

Greatwhite

Quote from: Kx03 on September 25, 2011, 10:32:36 PM
lmao i only have a 30 gal  and i got it at big al's they just dont give a good credit

And this is part of the problem that I have with BA's in general.  I don't know why any fish store would intentionally order a fish like this one.  The 2 people in Ottawa with a 300+ gallon tank could special order a 3 foot long fish if they REALLY wanted it... :)

If I went in, and looked at a cool fish and asked about it - the first question that I'd expect from ANY sales person who doesn't know me personally is "how big is your tank?"  followed immediately by "what is in there now, and what are your plans?"

Back when I started, I went into Marinescape, and that was exactly how the conversation went - and I knew NOTHING about salt water tanks, so really appreciated the advice they gave.  Now I live in Orleans, and Fishtail is my shop of choice - and Patrick & Eric both know what I'm running because they asked on my first couple visits. (and I always remind them while I am looking at livestock so they can steer me away from "big stuff")  :)

I know BA's was (or is?) hiring... It'd be nice if some people with some salt experience would apply.  Perhaps if there was some kind of "fish book" that new people could refer to when assisting customers, problems like this might be less frequent.

I hope you're able to get a decent credit, because it's not ENTIRELY your fault that you unknowingly got a giant fish.  I'm glad you're doing the responsible thing and returning it, though - because keeping it in your 30 is actually cruel...

Neat looking fish, though.  8)

Hookup

BA's is built on bulk-store philosophy.   They have the most dry-good selection in town by a factor of 100.  They have loads of fish in their room as well, and on a fish-by-fish basis, i'd say they have the biggest collection of fish in town as well.  BIG Al's is BIG.

If you want personal quality service, where the owner will get to know you and your tank, the smaller local stores are better.  In fact, they are built around this kind of business model.

BA's get's a bashing every year on this topic.  And someone has to post about bulk stores vs niche stores every year as well.. guess this was my turn...    ;) ;)

Oh, and there are many large tanks in ottawa.  If I had to guess, OVAS represents probably only 5-10% of the aquarium community in town.

az

not so plain and simple, sometimes suppliers would send fish that wasnt ordered, sometimes they are named wrong so you could be ordering something and getting something else.

if you return it to BA chances are they would sell it to someone else, but what can you do.
AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

Greatwhite

Quote from: Hookup on September 26, 2011, 10:09:40 AM
BA's is built on bulk-store philosophy.   They have the most dry-good selection in town by a factor of 100.  They have loads of fish in their room as well, and on a fish-by-fish basis, i'd say they have the biggest collection of fish in town as well.  BIG Al's is BIG.

If you want personal quality service, where the owner will get to know you and your tank, the smaller local stores are better.  In fact, they are built around this kind of business model.

BA's get's a bashing every year on this topic.  And someone has to post about bulk stores vs niche stores every year as well.. guess this was my turn...    ;) ;)

Oh, and there are many large tanks in ottawa.  If I had to guess, OVAS represents probably only 5-10% of the aquarium community in town.

Oh, I shop at BA's for my equipment, but only after doing my own research.  Yes, they absolutely have more equipment/food/etc in stock than any other store I go to.  (even though i can't say they carry the "BEST" equipment..)

I just simply won't buy any saltwater fish there.  Any time I go in, I AM hopeful that I'll find something nice, healthy, and well-priced.  Then I leave empty handed.  I haven't been in the west-end BA's in years, but if memory serves, they may have been a little better.

It's probably just hard to find people with experience to work there...  The more experienced guys (who I KNOW work there) are often busy running around and not available to talk to.

Greatwhite

Quote from: az on September 26, 2011, 10:17:36 AM
not so plain and simple, sometimes suppliers would send fish that wasnt ordered, sometimes they are named wrong so you could be ordering something and getting something else.

if you return it to BA chances are they would sell it to someone else, but what can you do.

I agree completely.. sometimes fish arrive mislabeled.  But it was properly marked on the tank, so SOMEONE there looked it up.

I like to take my cell phone with me into shops so I can look up a fish I don't recognize...

Az, you even talked me out of a purchase once... I was looking at starfish, and though a Chocolate Chip one was cool. BUT, you asked if I planned on keeping coral - and pointed out that a chocolate chip starfish would eat up corals in no time.  THAT is the type of service that I appreciate.