Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

best substrate layering for plants

Started by Raven, October 19, 2005, 10:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raven

hey
right now im planting my tanks with lots of easy plants(anubias,crypts,java moss and fern,sags,vals ect)anyways right now i want to change my subtrate for plants.right now i have pool filter sand which blows for plants. what is my best bet for the leyers . so many to choose from.apart from subrate ferts can you guys tell me the best daily trace and weekly ferts i should go for?thanks

BigDaddy

Pool filter sand doesn't "blow" for plants.

The majority of the plants you have listed don't even root in the substrate (anubias, moss, ferns), so they don't care if they are in Flourite or bare bottom!

Of the other plants you list, they all benefit more from a root tab under them more than anything else.  A crypt planted in Flourite with a root tab under it will probably grow just as well as a crypt planted in pool filter sand with a root tab under it.

How big a tank have you got, and how much lighting?  The reason I ask is that water changes may be more than enough replenishment for your slow growers (anubias moss ferns) while the root tabs will be more than enough for your root feeders (vals, sag and crypts).

Iceman

Quote from: "BigDaddy"Pool filter sand doesn't "blow" for plants.

I saw that coming.  :lol: