Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

More Moss ID

Started by charlie, December 16, 2011, 03:20:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

Ok for Moss crew, I have these 2 types of Moss doing pretty well, unfortunatley i`m no good @ ID`ing them, so i throw it out to the moss bosses ;D, what are they
In both cases, pic will show a single pc & a clump.
Thanks

charlie

Looks like i had it right all along, i knew it was green moss :P

brotherluv

Some pieces seem to have a yellowish tone to them...

charlie

Quote from: brotherluv on December 18, 2011, 08:42:37 AM
Some pieces seem to have a yellowish tone to them...
I agree, too much Instant Ocean, have to reclaibrate my salinty probe

Fishnut

I believe the first pic is flame moss because it doesn't branch off.  I have no idea what the other one is.

Nerine

whatever the second one is, I have some, came from Ron...but he didn't know what it was hehe
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

fischkopp

be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

charlie

Quote from: Fishnut on December 18, 2011, 12:07:29 PM
I believe the first pic is flame moss because it doesn't branch off.  I have no idea what the other one is.
I suspect the second one is peacock moss & someone else think the same, the first one had  me thinking the same thing ( flame) but not sure as i`m lost with moss ID they can look very similar in different growing conditions, on another forum some think it`s Java moss?

magnosis

Quote from: charlie on December 19, 2011, 05:13:25 PM
I suspect the second one is peacock moss & someone else think the same, the first one had  me thinking the same thing ( flame) but not sure as i`m lost with moss ID they can look very similar in different growing conditions, on another forum some think it`s Java moss?

I've compared with 8 different mosses that I have here, and came to the same partial conclusion.

The first one could be Java; it's the only moss I've had that would grow 3-6" long treads without ever branching.  Could be Flame moss as well, although I've only had mine immersed for 2 months and it hasn't grown that much.

The biggest visible difference between these two is that, in their immersed form, Flame moss almost invariably grows vertically towards the surface, whereas Java moss pretty much grows in random direction.  As far as my own experience can tell, Java is the most "random" moss I've had.  It's growth pattern is very chaotic and difficult to tame & shape.

The second one looks like Peacock, or Christmas moss. Peacock is more bushy, dense and "velvety" than Christmas moss.  It's also gentler to the touch.  Also, when looked at from the top, it does actually look like the tail of a peacock ;)

Christmas moss is a little more rough and jagged in texture.

In the form of bushes, it can be more difficult to tell apart unless seen side by side