Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Thread algae

Started by mseguin, October 21, 2005, 12:27:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mseguin

I've got a bit of a thread algae infestation in my 29 gal, and I've read that otos or SAE's are god for taking care of it. Any suggestions?

redbelly

I found sae to work quite well

discusFans

yup, SAE is good for it, but i doubt about ottos.

BigDaddy

If this your tank with the new lighting?

NjOyRiD

what otos are good for?! and where are they from?!
I have prob with some kind of algea in my Amazon Acid Pool
gotta clean the glass everyday!?
so thanx msguin for posting that question, I wanna know too
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

BigDaddy

Otos are good for diatoms and that lovely brown algae you get when you first start up a tank.  They will nip at thread, but they've never really done much more than that.

I have otos and SAEs in my community tank.  If one of my other tanks gets thread algae, I put the plant in my community tanks.  The SAEs have it cleaned off in a day or two... the otos don't really do much on their own.

NjOyRiD

ahh, I do have that brown thing LOL
Otos clean that?! where are they from?!
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

mseguin

Yeah its with the new lights. The plants are doing well, but the algae is also taking advantage.

BigDaddy

We need to sit down and discuss your fert regime and CO2 measurements.  Need a ride home from the meeting?   :D

mseguin

Well now that you mention, it would be nice :-) Especially now that OSAP has arrived and I have a few dollars to spend at the auction lol.

brad

Amano shrimp will eat more thread than SAE`s.  Chery shrimp are excellent too but those apistos would be more than happy to goble them up for ya!

Nighty

I read that cherry shrimp are good for that as well. But who in Ottawa sells them?

NjOyRiD

and where are they're from? :D
370g System

Mettle

I had some insane thread algae growing in my 38 gal with the jacked temps to deal with the ich. And I did a huge gut and water change last Wednesday taking most of it out. (Huge clumps, it was insane.) Then what was left? My RUMMYNOSE TETRAS grazed on it. Yes. I am not lying. My rummynose tetras were grazing on and eating my hair algae. They've since stopped. But were doing a good job of it before. So so odd.

zapisto

Quote from: "NjOyRiD"and where are they're from? :D
Common Name: Red Cherry, Cherry Shrimp, Fire shrimp
Scientific Name: Neocaridina denticulata sinensis var. red
Size: 2.5 to 3 cm
Temperature: 15 to 28°C
PH: 6.5 to 7.5
Origin: Taiwan

BigDaddy

Quote from: "brad"Amano shrimp will eat more thread than SAE`s.  Chery shrimp are excellent too but those apistos would be more than happy to goble them up for ya!

Exact opposite of my experience.

My amano shrimp did absolutely nothing to the thread algae.  The SAE's, on the other hand, would spend the entire day on it.

NjOyRiD

Quote from: "zapisto"
Quote from: "NjOyRiD"and where are they're from? :D
Common Name: Red Cherry, Cherry Shrimp, Fire shrimp
Scientific Name: Neocaridina denticulata sinensis var. red
Size: 2.5 to 3 cm
Temperature: 15 to 28°C
PH: 6.5 to 7.5
Origin: Taiwan

thanx for the info buddy!!
370g System

brad

BigDaddy, did you keep the receipt? maybe you can bring those Amanos back for being defective :)

brad

Oh almost forgot, Mettle, my Kribs and angels will nibble at it from time to time. Certainly not after a big feeding of mysis shrimp but they do tear away bites.