Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

CO2 questions

Started by exv152, December 29, 2011, 10:11:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

exv152

Need some feedback from those of you out there that have pressurized CO2 setups. I'm looking at getting a 10lb cylinder with regulator, electric solenoid and a bubble counter, and I'm wondering:

1) How long will a 10lb cylinder last on a 29 gal tank if it's run approx 10 hrs per day (while lights are on)?
2) Where to get the cylinder refilled locally?  I know of Davidson Fire Extinguishers, Paint Storm, Praxair and Pyromatek, but are there others out there, and what's the standard refill charge?

Thanks in advance.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

(1) hard to tell, but my guess should be close to a year or a tad more, all depends on how much you are required to inject to satisfy your growth, on my 75 gln 20 lb was lasting about 7 mths & that`s with a lot of injection.
(2) I think that`s about it not sure about Paint Storm refilling large cyclinder & I think Praxair is only exchange if you rent the bottle from them but i don`t know for sure.
Regards

pm

I recently switched to a 10 lb tank.  I was using paintball before, and estimate that a 24 oz paintball tank lasted 3 months at 2 bps on a 33 gal (I manually turned it off most nights).  In a perfect world this would extrapolate to 20 months for a 10 lb tank.  My plant biomass and tank size (157L) has increased since then and I am probably looking at 3 bps now.  I expect the 10 lb tank to last a bit over a year.

exv152

Thanks for the info. Can't wait to get the ball rollin' on this project. I have the rimless starfire tank, the aquasoil, and I even have the fish quarantined (boxing day buy), just need to pruchase the CO2 system, build the ada-style stand and get a pendant light.

One other question, for those of you using pressurized CO2; how useful is a drop checker ???
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on December 30, 2011, 11:22:21 AM
Thanks for the info. Can't wait to get the ball rollin' on this project. I have the rimless starfire tank, the aquasoil, and I even have the fish quarantined (boxing day buy), just need to pruchase the CO2 system, build the ada-style stand and get a pendant light.

One other question, for those of you using pressurized CO2; how useful is a drop checker ???
Good reference point to start with & fine BPS after.
looking forward to your posting on this build
Regards

exv152

Quote from: charlie on December 30, 2011, 01:06:48 PM
Good reference point to start with & fine BPS after.
looking forward to your posting on this build
Regards

Yes, I'm very much looking forward to it as well, since I just picked up some ohko stone.  Still a month or two away from setting up though. Thanks for the advice Charlie.

Eric
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g