Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

when ich is not ich....?

Started by RoxyDog, October 22, 2005, 09:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoxyDog

So I've been treating my tank for ich with salt first, then aquarisol (plant friendly and always worked b4), for over a week.  One blue ram has salt like particles on his body and fins...but it's only him.  He's eating, not scraping against anything, and everyone else is fine.  Sometimes I think it's geeting better, then I realize the spots have't changed/fallen off.  Anyone have any suggestions?  I'm not sure where to go from here.  If it's not ich (sure does look like it to me), then what?  Thanks.  :)
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

zapisto

can be oddinium
the symptom are very symilar , but the dot is smaller with oddinium

not easy desease because , usually treat as ich and after it is already too late.

pegasus

I also have a female Aulonocara with lhuge protruding white floffy and looks like parasite or worm. It started last March, right after I had her strip of her fry. I always took the blame since no other fish ever got this condition. The female continue breeding and living  like if it had nothing. These things comes and go, but never totally. I've increased the salt content of the tank and feed them garlic to no avail. All her fry are doing well with no symptoms.
I have a sick looking fish in a healthy tank. If it stop breeding then I would probably put it in a hospital tank and try some medication. At this point, after all my web researches and a visit from our vet, I still don't have a clue.
Good luck Roxy

Julie

Roxy and Pegasaus, can you post some pics of your fish?
The ram can take the heat, elevate the temp it might work.  Speed up the cycle of the parasite and boost the immune system of the fish.

Julie

RoxyDog

the temp is about 86, and I'll try and take a pic.  I guess it could be a worm, I never thought of that...?  I just want to be sure whatever he has won't pass to anyone else.  :)

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

pegasus

I'll have to see with Marc.. but every time I want to change my avatar or send a picture I get kick-off from Internet Explorerer

RoxyDog

this is the best pic I can get...there is a spot in the middle of each fin on his sides as well, but couldn't get it, and some on his body.

Julie

Do you know what your nitrates are?  I don't think it's anything serious, my discus get it sometimes when I get lazy on water changes.

Julie

RoxyDog

I'll check them, but they should be fine...I didn't change anything with my tank maintenance.  so it will just go away at some point then?  I guess I'll just wait it out a bit longer.  :)

Mettle

Doesn't look like ich.

Looks like the beginnings of some type of fin/tail rot to me. But I could be very wrong.