Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Fertilization (B&B Hydroponics)

Started by androo303, January 22, 2012, 11:39:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

androo303

Hey all, does anyone know the operating hours of B&B Hydroponics??? I've tried calling a couple of times over the past few days and there's been no answer.... Also, would you know of any suppliers online?

touchofsky

I'm sorry I can't help you with the hours of B&B.  Since I am out of town, I ordered my dry ferts mail order from Canadian Aquatics.
http://www.canadianaquatics.com/equipment/equipment.htm

It was more convenient for me, and they had everything in stock.  B&B was missing KN03 when I called.

androo303

touchofsky

I will have to take a look to see what they charged for shipping, I can't remember off hand.

However, if you write them an e-mail, and tell them what you want to buy, they will give you a price for shipping before you order.

touchofsky

I looked this morning and found my order.  Here is the summary:

ok so shipping is still $20
2 lbs. KN03 (potassium nitrate) $10
1 lb. K2S04 (potassium sulfate) $5
1 lb. KH2P04 (potassium phosphate) $5
1 lb. Plantex CSM+B $13

total $53
paypal 4% fee $2.12

Grand total is $55.12

I felt it was worth it for me to order mail order, since I am not in the city and the cost for gas to drive in makes up for any shipping fees.

BTW, they were great to deal with, and shipped everything out very promptly.

exv152

Quote from: androo303 on January 22, 2012, 11:39:53 AM
Hey all, does anyone know the operating hours of B&B Hydroponics??? I've tried calling a couple of times over the past few days and there's been no answer.... Also, would you know of any suppliers online?

B&B hydroponics is only open like 9-5pm Mon-Fri, but even then they're pretty flexible and may close early.  I think they charge less per item, no shipping and no paypal fee. Plus you support a local store that will be around longer because of your business. The only thing I would order online would be the plantx.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

touchofsky

Yes, you people are lucky in some ways to live in the city.  I have to always plan things around other trips in for other reasons, otherwise it really doesn't make a lot of sense to drive in to purchase a few items.

I still love my country property, though!

touchofsky

The last time I bought from B&B, they had the plantex in stock.

exv152

Quote from: touchofsky on January 23, 2012, 10:40:54 AM
The last time I bought from B&B, they had the plantex in stock.

Really, good to know, and you don't mean their own version of micro nutrients right?  They actually had plantex-csm? For how much?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

touchofsky

It was a few years ago, so I don't remember the details.

androo303

Quote from: exv152 on January 23, 2012, 01:01:17 PM
Really, good to know, and you don't mean their own version of micro nutrients right?  They actually had plantex-csm? For how much?

I contacted them this morning and they didnt have much in stock for us aquarium enthusiasts. Not even the plantex-csm. I am thinking making a purchase at http://www.canadianaquatics.com/equipment/equipment.htm as their shipping/cost for a pound of everything needed comes to about $62. Unsure how long that'd last me, but it is a starting point. Unsure if I really need it too, but i guess it wouldn't be a bad experiment to see how disciplined i am.

touchofsky

How big a tank will you be dosing?

daworldisblack

wow.. steep shipping costs! Perhaps you can see if there are a few interested peeps and split the cost. I've done a group order with them and they are real great to deal with!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

androo303

Quote from: touchofsky on January 23, 2012, 11:02:09 PM
How big a tank will you be dosing?

24 gallon
2.7 wpg
CO2 soon to be re-hooked up (just need to purchase a one-way check-valve).

Quote from: daworldisblack on January 24, 2012, 12:17:37 AM
wow.. steep shipping costs! Perhaps you can see if there are a few interested peeps and split the cost. I've done a group order with them and they are real great to deal with!

Got the quote back this morning, and this is what I am getting for EI dosing....

1lbs of KNO3
1lbs of KH2PO4
1lbs of K2SO4
1lbs of Plantex CSM+B

Total cost is $28 + $17 shipping. Not bad all things considered, for about $40 i get probaly a year's worth of supplies. I am in a hurry now because I see that the plants are beginning to show fert deficiencies. So hopefully, I can get into a regime of the EI and possibly plant this tank up a little more without the plant casualties I have been getting.

@DAWORLDISBLACK do you need anything right now? I am putting the order in tonight.

touchofsky

I think shipping costs are what they are because of Canada Post.  Postage in Canada is fairly high.

fischkopp

Quote from: androo303 on January 24, 2012, 10:10:29 AM
1lbs of KNO3
1lbs of KH2PO4
1lbs of K2SO4
1lbs of Plantex CSM+B

KNO3 is what you will be using the most of. You may as well get 2lb of it right away to make shipping worth it.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

charlie

Quote from: fischkopp on January 24, 2012, 11:43:54 AM
KNO3 is what you will be using the most of. You may as well get 2lb of it right away to make shipping worth it.

Like Fischkopp said KNO3 will be your most used, forget the K2SO4 if you are dosing the other 2 there is plenty of K2SO4 there already.
Regards

androo303

Quote from: charlie on January 24, 2012, 11:50:22 AM
Like Fischkopp said KNO3 will be your most used, forget the K2SO4 if you are dosing the other 2 there is plenty of K2SO4 there already.
Regards

Really? I was following the posted EI dosing directions on the plantedtank.net (under the dosing/fertilizer section).

charlie

What is the size of your tank again?sorry if it is posted.

exv152

What you need the most out of the three compounds is the potassium. Phoshpates and nitrates will be there if you have a good fish population, especially in a small tank like a 27g. But if your nitrates are low then it won't hurt to dose KNO3 alone as a macro nutrient.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g