Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Co2 regulator not working properly

Started by DaWolfe, February 01, 2012, 09:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaWolfe

Hi,

I have a 5lbs full just certified Co2 canister and a dual gauge regulator (see picture).  The system was working fine the last time I used it about 2 years ago.  I connected the regulator to the tank and when i turn the tank on, the gauge that measures the Co2 out goes up fast and Co2 comes out.  My gauge for the bottle reads nothing.  I tried re-connecting everything and open faster and then I get a small reading on the tank gauge but lots of Co2 comes out even if my lever is on the off position...

What the heck is going on...HELP!!! :(

Thanks

charlie

First thing i observe from that pic. is that you do not have a needle valve, that is a disaster waiting to happen as far as injecting CO2 into the aquarium.
When did you have the bottle certified & filled?
Is it possible that by trying to open the gas flow & it rushing out you have depleteded most of the gas?

the co2 regulatogagesuges are as you stated the qty of gas on the left & the one on the right is the working pressure - that is the one that tells you what pressure you have set the regulator to deliver which in most cases is 10-30 PSI, this is done with the T handle you are turning, this pressure is delivered to a metering/needle valve which further down regulate the pressure to minusculecule bubbles per second we desire for  injection into the tank, you also have the option to have a solenoid to stop the flow & turn on via a timer or controller.

charlie

Quote from: DaWolfe on February 01, 2012, 09:19:15 PM
Hi,

I have a 5lbs full just certified Co2 canister and a dual gauge regulator (see picture).  The system was working fine the last time I used it about 2 years ago.  I connected the regulator to the tank and when i turn the tank on, the gauge that measures the Co2 out goes up fast and Co2 comes out.  My gauge for the bottle reads nothing.  I tried re-connecting everything and open faster and then I get a small reading on the tank gauge but lots of Co2 comes out even if my lever is on the off position...

What the heck is going on...HELP!!! :(

Thanks
Hmm not good, sounds like your reg is toast - did you get the reg from Princess Auto?

beertech

Try turning the lever all the way in, then all the way back out. Then if you could plug the hose outlet somehow before you open the cylinder, that may help free up the parts inside the reg. It's been sitting for 2 years, so there will be some corrosion inside and the diaphram is just sticking.

DaWolfe

Quote from: beertech on February 02, 2012, 03:03:48 AM
Try turning the lever all the way in, then all the way back out. Then if you could plug the hose outlet somehow before you open the cylinder, that may help free up the parts inside the reg. It's been sitting for 2 years, so there will be some corrosion inside and the diaphram is just sticking.

ok will try.

NO I got the reg from A1 Extinguisher with the tank.  I just got it certified and filled by A1 yesterday.  As for the needle valve, yes I have one that is on the Co2 line that is not show here.

Thanks.

DaWolfe

sorry that would be Davidson Fire Extinguisher not A1

beertech

Worst case just bring it in to Davidson's, they may be able to figure it out.

exv152

Quote from: beertech on February 02, 2012, 11:17:44 AM
Worst case just bring it in to Davidson's, they may be able to figure it out.
Ditto!
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

bizfromqc

Seriously Dan, just kick the $#@%! thing, that'll un-stick it  ;)

DaWolfe

Already tried that but my kick does not have enough PSI...

charlie

Quote from: bizfromqc on February 02, 2012, 03:45:46 PM
Seriously Dan, just kick the $#@%! thing, that'll un-stick it  ;)
Eric you need a few more  tanks to help channel that built up aggression :)

DaWolfe

Ok, you all failed the test...no one asked me if i was turning the T valve the right way...

So i just learned or forgot from my last CO2 setup that the T valve that is tightly turned is on and unscrewed if off.  So it was working all this time i was an idiot and was turning the wrong way.  At least it did not cost me anything but a day more without CO2.  All is working fine now. ??? :-[

I will be reading to see what is the best bubble count to start at.

Thanks.

bizfromqc

Quote from: charlie on February 02, 2012, 08:33:53 PM
Eric you need a few more  tanks to help channel that built up aggression :)

If only I had a dollar for every time I kicked something when it wasn't working as it should have (or when I wasn't using it properly aka "Pulling a Dan") LOL

DaWolfe

Thanks Biz, I will give u 5$ for not telling anybody at work...

bizfromqc

Venti 5-shot no-room Americano @ Starbucks will be enough  ;)

DaWolfe

Peekay

Quote from: bizfromqc on February 02, 2012, 09:44:42 PM
Venti 5-shot no-room Americano @ Starbucks will be enough  ;)

5 shots ?  You're a wild man!

(And dawolfe, I'm glad you got it working, despite the lefty-loosey rule not working out for you!)

bizfromqc