Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Betta Palace

Started by charlie, February 07, 2012, 08:45:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

Well , on the weekend we saw a crown tail betta with oodles of personality, needless to say it found it`s way home - so out came the Aqua clear mini, 18-24 led DBL bright , 50 watt tronic heater & the eco complete that was frozen over, hmmm no small tank , so off to Big Al`s & came back with a 5.5 gallon tank of course the next line of thinking was what plants can i put in there & what can i scape it with - so rounded up some pcs of rock & drift wood pcs i had cut from the 79 gallon, next was to bug Robert for some plants ( thanks Robert) & rob the java fern , anubias, hair grass & some moss from the other tanks .
End result another planted tank of sorts  ;D
Errol

bettabreeder

Well I now kno what look I'm going for when my 5.5 is cycled (picked one up from big als tonight along with an amazing halfmoon)

touchofsky

What a gorgeous betta.  I love the colour!  Nice job on the tank, too, Errol  :)

fischkopp

Quote from: charlie on February 07, 2012, 08:45:16 PM
... next was to bug Robert for some plants ( thanks Robert) ...

No worries. :)

Nicely tinted fish!
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

daworldisblack

NEAT! I am itching for bettas again too. Its really is true how the ones available now are so neat! I bred veil-tailed ones as my first breeding project ever when i was 13-14 but its only because they were the cheapest ones I could afford. Now they have crown-tailed, super-delta, half-moon.. I'm giddy! Awesome set-up Errol!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

bettabreeder

Haha that leads me to ask Errol.... Gunna breed him? :P

Peekay

/end consolidation phase
/restart expansion phase

;)

Gorgeous. 

pm

Quote from: Peekay on February 08, 2012, 08:17:59 AM
/end consolidation phase
/restart expansion phase

;)

Gorgeous. 

+1  Had to chuckle when I saw is was Errol who started this thread.

charlie

Quote from: Peekay on February 08, 2012, 08:17:59 AM
/end consolidation phase
/restart expansion phase

;)

Gorgeous.  
Yep, i changed the  25 gallon consolidating   to 25 gallon   ;D
the boss takes the hit on this one, i`m only the consultant/ caretaker  :P
Thanks for the comments guys.
Errol

bizfromqc

Quote from: charlie on February 08, 2012, 09:24:04 AM
Yep, i changed the consolidating 25 gaooln to 25 gallon   ;D
the boss takes the hit on this one, i`m only the consultant/ caretaker  :P
Thanks for the comments guys.
Errol

Well well, what do we have here? And I'm the one getting some slack for having too many projects on the go  ;)

Nice looking tank Errol.

Might as well make room for another tank, I know a guy who's got some nice apistos growing up in a 20G as we speak... Should be ready in a couple of months  ;D

DaWolfe

Nice tank Errol.  I just got the same tank from a buddy at work (not Eric) and trying to figure out what to do with it and I really like what you did.  This will be my sons's tank and we will be setting it up together, a nice little project.

Quick question??  What filter you have on it, what do you recommend for a 5.5??  I was looking at a Aqua Clear 30.

Tx Dan

bizfromqc

Quote from: DaWolfe on February 10, 2012, 11:13:53 AM
Nice thank Errol.  I just got the same tank from a buddy at work (not Eric) and trying to figure out what to do with it and I really like what you did.  This will be my sons's tank and we will be setting it up together, a nice little project.

Quick question??  What filter you have on it, what do you recommend for a 5.5??  I was looking at a Aqua Clear 30.

Tx Dan

FWIW, I got an AC30 on my 10G and it moves things around quite a bit, even when set to the lowest level (where it sits now). Danios play in the "current" but do get thrown around quite a bit when they go under the filter return. Plants would sway like crazy under the filter return, had to move the Blyxa Japonica (thx Peekay) because of that.

Depending on what you want to keep in there, I'd be tempted to go a bit smaller. Sponge filter maybe? That's just my 2c  ;)

charlie

Thanks Dan.
I`m using an Aqua Clear 20/mini throttled back to the minimum flow & for added reduction i intentionally placed the filter behind the rocks,plants & wood, so as to have the cascade effect  dispersed for the sake of the Betta as they are not fans of strong current, not to mention the hardscape & java ferns covers up the intake  & heater quite nice  ;), my bill is in the mail  ;D

daworldisblack

Quote from: DaWolfe on February 10, 2012, 11:13:53 AM
Nice thank Errol.  I just got the same tank from a buddy at work (not Eric) and trying to figure out what to do with it and I really like what you did.  This will be my sons's tank and we will be setting it up together, a nice little project.

Quick question??  What filter you have on it, what do you recommend for a 5.5??  I was looking at a Aqua Clear 30.

Tx Dan

Had this in my 5.5 before: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4239991 . Works great for the aquarium size but I wanted more flow and be able to direct flow like a powerhead so I now have this: http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Plus-Internal-Filter-GPH/dp/B00025YVQ2 . I like both altho the Fluval has a little more directed flow .
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

charlie

Quote from: daworldisblack on February 10, 2012, 11:42:11 AM
Had this in my 5.5 before: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4239991 . Works great for the aquarium size but I wanted more flow and be able to direct flow like a powerhead so I now have this: http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Plus-Internal-Filter-GPH/dp/B00025YVQ2 . I like both altho the Fluval has a little more directed flow .
I`m not a fan of those filters for several reasons, but that`s just me.
Takes up too much real estate in a small tank
Not great @ bio filtration
Not a lot of flexibility with them
Flow is too direct & can be too strong in some  small tanks.
Errol

DaWolfe

Quote from: charlie on February 10, 2012, 11:37:22 AM
Thanks Dan.
I`m using an Aqua Clear 20/mini throttled back to the minimum flow & for added reduction i intentionally placed the filter behind the rocks,plants & wood, so as to have the cascade effect  dispersed for the sake of the Betta as they are not fans of strong current, not to mention the hardscape & java ferns covers up the intake  & heater quite nice  ;), my bill is in the mail  ;D

Thanks Errol, you were to fast in sending the bill, i will have more questions.  Also I was sure we agreed to quarterly billing ;)

Dan

exv152

Nice fish and tank Errol! What kind of background is that?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on February 12, 2012, 03:45:15 PM
Nice fish and tank Errol! What kind of background is that?
Thanks Eric, it`s a piece of white poly sheet.
Errol

charlie

Update
The palace is now split in two chambers  ;D
Errol

bizfromqc

Sweet! Two males?

Do they get the same amount of friends (neons) or are the holes big enough for the neons to go from side to side?

Eric