Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Coco huts/caves

Started by bizfromqc, February 16, 2012, 09:20:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bizfromqc

Finally got my coconut shells done, most of the tannis out after boiling them a couple of times.

Who knew coconut shells were THAT hard. Elbow grease, a saw and lots of patience and you end up with this.

Next step is to moss'em and put in other tanks (I just dunked them in my cycling tank for now).

Cheebs

Neat! That will look pretty cool.

It reminds me of that type of octopus that carries aorund coconut shells as protection.

touchofsky

They look great.  You did a very neat job!

bettabreeder

They look good but drill holes into the top so air won't get trapped

bizfromqc

I wondered about that but decided not to. There's no air now since I put them in the tank and I'm using a canister filter so there's no real "bubbles" coming into the tank... unless one of my fish has "gas" (dutch over LOL)

I do wonder about water movement though, the entrance hole is not too big so I don't know if the water would become still in there or not...

The reason why I wouldn't drill a hole on top would be because of the light entering the cave, maybe the fish wouldn't like the cave since it wouldn't be completely dark.

This calls for experimentation I think  :)

bettabreeder

Fair enough! It will definitely be cool to see them rush in and out of their homes. My convicts love the shells I provided for them :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bizfromqc

Moss'em and Toss'em

Here's what two of the huts now look like with Java Moss attached to it. I used super glue and it worked good. Problem is glue turns white in some spots when it cures and the LEDs on the tank just make the white pop...  It'll only be an issue until the moss grows up a bit and hides the glue.

I think they turned out well, what do you guys thing?

touchofsky

Wow, they look great.  I think your fish won't be able to resist them  :)

bettabreeder

Really well done IMO

daworldisblack

Quote from: bizfromqc on February 16, 2012, 11:02:17 PM
Moss'em and Toss'em

Here's what two of the huts now look like with Java Moss attached to it. I used super glue and it worked good. Problem is glue turns white in some spots when it cures and the LEDs on the tank just make the white pop...  It'll only be an issue until the moss grows up a bit and hides the glue.

Woah! The java moss really pops under the LEDs! Nice looking huts!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

bizfromqc

Quote from: daworldisblack on February 16, 2012, 11:48:05 PM
Woah! The java moss really pops under the LEDs! Nice looking huts!

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Rah, that moss came from your tank BTW  ;)

daworldisblack

Quote from: bizfromqc on February 17, 2012, 09:37:06 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone!

Rah, that moss came from your tank BTW  ;)

I need me some LEDs!

bizfromqc

MOPS still has them on sale, It's now or never  ;)

daworldisblack

Quote from: bizfromqc on February 17, 2012, 10:16:19 AM
MOPS still has them on sale, It's now or never  ;)

You're an enabler! :p

Peekay

Quote from: bizfromqc on February 16, 2012, 11:02:17 PM

VERY well!  What a great project. 

Sandy

Well after some hard work and some helpful hints I decided to try this myself, Thanks Bizfromqc

daworldisblack

Quote from: Sandy on February 17, 2012, 05:38:21 PM
Well after some hard work and some helpful hints I decided to try this myself, Thanks Bizfromqc

Looking good! Huts are popping up everywhere! Now all you need is Java Moss! Let me know if you need some  ;)

wolfiewill

I just tuned into this (too much to do, so little time)...... Where do you get the shells, and how do you prepare them before you attach the moss??? Sorry. I missed the original thread but I'm tired of the look of PVC pipe as a stand in for ceramic caves (way too expensive) and log caves (can't find good ones). Cheers. G
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

bettabreeder

I claim being the founder of this craze!!! ;P buy two coconuts from a grocery store. Hammer them in half, or use a hack saw. Remove the fruit and boil the shell till the tannis is all out. From the looks of the pictures posted people are cutting them length wise. Personally mine are cut through the middle.

bizfromqc

Quote from: bettabreeder on February 17, 2012, 08:47:05 PM
I claim being the founder of this craze!!! ;P buy two coconuts from a grocery store. Hammer them in half, or use a hack saw. Remove the fruit and boil the shell till the tannis is all out. From the looks of the pictures posted people are cutting them length wise. Personally mine are cut through the middle.

+1.

Elbow grease and patience, that's all it takes  :)