Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Aquarium Purchase

Started by Lurch1, March 13, 2012, 10:13:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lurch1

In your experience where is the best place to buy a 75 gallan tank? I was also thinking of building one, anyone know if there is much cost savings?

exv152

Quote from: Lurch1 on March 13, 2012, 10:13:36 AMIn your experience where is the best place to buy a 75 gallan tank? I was also thinking of building one, anyone know if there is much cost savings?

Best place to buy a regular type of aquarium is BAs, their marineland tanks are better priced than the competition. Should be priced somewhere around $139 for a 75g last time I checked. I've looked into buying glass to make my own, but the cost of the glass alone is not worth it unless you're looking for a dimension that's not available commercially.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

dakrazyone

i just picked up a 75g tank at BA for $119, the 90g was $189

Greatwhite

Honestly, your best bet for a 75 at a "good" price is to watch classifieds and Kijiji...  You can usually pick up a used tank @ around $1 per gallon... sometimes even cheaper.

If you're looking for new, any one of the sponsors would be glad to hook you up with a deal, I'm sure. :)

exv152

Quote from: Greatwhite on March 13, 2012, 11:10:01 AM
Honestly, your best bet for a 75 at a "good" price is to watch classifieds and Kijiji...  You can usually pick up a used tank @ around $1 per gallon... sometimes even cheaper.

If you're looking for new, any one of the sponsors would be glad to hook you up with a deal, I'm sure. :)

I agree, sometimes you can pick a cheaper tank in the classifieds (usedottawa, kijiji or here), but recently (in the past few years) people are asking the same or more in some cases for their used stuff. Or they bought it at a premium as a LFS (the mega chain LFS - not to mention names) and they want to recuperate what they paid. I rarely see any offers anymore for a $1/gallon used tanks, maybe also because people sell them as a package (stand, filter, lights, heater etc) but they want an arm and a leg for it. Fewwwh, I think I've done venting. The topic of overpriced used stuff in this hobby is a bit of pet-peeve for me.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

JetJumper

I picked up a total of 3 75G tanks over the past 2 years on classifieds / usedottawa.  I normally only pay $20-30 for them.  One was display quality! :D
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Lurch1

Quote from: JetJumper on March 13, 2012, 01:27:09 PM
I picked up a total of 3 75G tanks over the past 2 years on classifieds / usedottawa.  I normally only pay $20-30 for them.  One was display quality! :D

That's an amazing deal, I saw a good one for a 125g, but wasn't ready at the time.
Quote from: exv152 on March 13, 2012, 01:23:46 PM
I agree, sometimes you can pick a cheaper tank in the classifieds (usedottawa, kijiji or here), but recently (in the past few years) people are asking the same or more in some cases for their used stuff. Or they bought it at a premium as a LFS (the mega chain LFS - not to mention names) and they want to recuperate what they paid. I rarely see any offers anymore for a $1/gallon used tanks, maybe also because people sell them as a package (stand, filter, lights, heater etc) but they want an arm and a leg for it. Fewwwh, I think I've done venting. The topic of overpriced used stuff in this hobby is a bit of pet-peeve for me.

I would say most of the offers on kijiji and usedottawa are completely out to lunch. $125 for a 20 gal? No thanks. I will keep checking for a bit and then if nothing comes up I will visit BA.

daworldisblack

Quote from: Lurch1 on March 13, 2012, 05:02:30 PM
That's an amazing deal, I saw a good one for a 125g, but wasn't ready at the time.
I would say most of the offers on kijiji and usedottawa are completely out to lunch. $125 for a 20 gal? No thanks. I will keep checking for a bit and then if nothing comes up I will visit BA.

Yeah there are some there that are priced ridiculously. Some are legit as they come with extras and what not but most times you're interested in just the aquarium so you don't care to pay for things that are not necessary. Other times though you could very well be lucky to pay a fair price for just the aquarium and then you find other things that come with it that would amount to way more! Its usually a waiting game and patience triumphs most times :)
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

exv152

Quote from: daworldisblack on March 13, 2012, 05:18:47 PMYeah there are some there that are priced ridiculously. Some are legit as they come with extras and what not but most times you're interested in just the aquarium so you don't care to pay for things that are not necessary. Other times though you could very well be lucky to pay a fair price for just the aquarium and then you find other things that come with it that would amount to way more! Its usually a waiting game and patience triumphs most times :)

Another amazing way to buy aquarium stuff cheap is garage sales. Unfortunately most aquariums sold in these sales are 5-10 gallon tanks, but sometimes you get real lucky and find a larger one for dirt cheap. It's that or you can wait until BAs has a sale, and the tanks will go on sale periodically for boxing day or midnight madness, that's always the best time to buy a tank at BAs. Or check out their clearance tanks (near the front door) sometimes you can get an amazing deal on something that just slightly scratched etc.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

daworldisblack

Quote from: exv152 on March 13, 2012, 05:53:59 PM
It's that or you can wait until BAs has a sale, and the tanks will go on sale periodically for boxing day or midnight madness, that's always the best time to buy a tank at BAs.

I was just there this pas weekend and theres a midnight madness round the corner ;)
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

Greatwhite

I just practically gave away my 55 and 48" coralife lunar aqualight (power compact bulbs) for $100 total.  I was listing the tank alone for $50 (would have taken $40).  There's always deals to be had, if you're patient. :)