New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

40 Gallon Breeder and stand Build.

Started by Monte, March 20, 2012, 03:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monte

Hi everyone.

I've wanted to post this build for a while but never had the time. It took me 3 months to finish this project. Started with the stand and finished on the day of the big auction where I purchased all my plants.

Here is a list of the equipment and plants I am using.

Equipment:   40 gallon breeder tank 36x18x16
                      Glass canopy
                      Eheim ecco pro easy 60 canister filter
                      Hydor 200 watt in-line heater
                      Maxi-jet 600
                      2 Marineland Double brite LED lights
                      10 Lb. Pressurized Co2 canister
                      Milwaukee MA957 Co2 regulator with bubble counter and solenoid
                      Fluval ceramic Co2 diffuser
                      2 glass Drop Checkers
                      5 Bags ecco complete substrate

Plants:           Staurogyne Repen
                      Lobelia Cardinalis Dwarf
                      Flame Moss
                      Ludwigia Arcuata
                      Eleocharis Parvula-Dwarf Hairgrass
                      Bacopa Amplexicaulis
                      Anubias Barteri Var Barteri
                      Cabomba carolinlana
                      Crypt
                      Alternanthera Rosafolia
                      Echinodorus Martii
                      Val
                      Asian Ambulia
                      Blyxia Japonica

The Stand build.

I built the frame with 2x4's and 2x3's and covered it with 1x6 Tung and groove pine. Built 2 doors using 1x2 pine and 2 sheets of acrylic. I Used 2 coats of primer sealer and then painted it a blue grey color called Lake Front. Tired of black and gray !
40 Gallon Breeder

Monte

Now the Tank build.

I tried a few different dry scapes before starting the build. After I added the light colored pebbles down the center of the tank I knew it didn't look right so I changed it.
40 Gallon Breeder

Monte

I ended up cutting the bottom of the wood at a 45 degree angle so it wasn't as tall and now it looks more natural.All the plants you see except for two where bought at the big auction.

I will keep you updated on it's progress. Thanks for checking it out.

Steve.
40 Gallon Breeder

daworldisblack

Looks good Steve! You really did resize the heck out of the pictures! Now they are tiny! Lol. I would love to see a larger pic of your last tank shot! Please post it! :p I can't believe the double-bright led fixture looks that great! Hope it grows awesome!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

exv152

Nice tank and stand. Glad to see others are also as adventurous as I am with building their own stands. I'm curious to know what kind of ferts you're using and what kind of regimen you're doing (what are you dosing & how often)?  thanks
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Monte

I can't seem to post them any bigger the site keeps telling me they are too large. Sorry Dude.

I am only using Flourish comprehensive once a week and Co2 for now. Any suggestions,

I am pretty new at planted tanks. Jumped in with both feet.  :P
40 Gallon Breeder

charlie

Awesome job ahmm Monte ?  ;) ok Steve, love the stand build.
jsut an observation on your dosing routine, perhaps you have this planned , but your present routine does not cover the macro nutrients & from the list of plants you posted you will definitly need to address this when the tank is established & the plants start to pick up pace.

touchofsky

Looks great!  I love the stand, you did an excellent job.  I will be anxious to watch its progress over the next few months.  Thanks for sharing your build  :)

Monte

Thanks for the nice comments. I really worked hard on the stand. The Jury is still out on the color.   :-\

The flash brings out the blue in the paint. It looks a lot darker in person. I like it.

Once the tank is cycled I will begin to use Macro Nutrience. I think I will use dry ferts because the price is much cheaper.

I will have to check the hydroponic stores to see what they have. Or use the on-line option.
40 Gallon Breeder

bizfromqc

Sweet looking tank and stand Steve. Can't wait to see how it's going to develop!

Let me know if you want to buy dry ferts online, maybe we could group order or something.

Keep us posted!

Eric

Monte

Thanks for the kind words Eric.

I will let you know if I am going to place an order online.
40 Gallon Breeder

Peekay

Looks great Monte!  The stand is very pro, and I love the shape of a 40G.
What are you thinking you're going to stock in there?

exv152

Quote from: Monte on March 20, 2012, 04:28:57 PMI am only using Flourish comprehensive once a week and Co2 for now. Any suggestions,

I am pretty new at planted tanks. Jumped in with both feet.  :P

Flourish comp is good, but with pressurized co2 you want to dose it three times a week instead of once, while you're in the process of getting the dry macros.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Monte

Quote from: exv152 on March 21, 2012, 09:41:53 AM
Flourish comp is good, but with pressurized co2 you want to dose it three times a week instead of once, while you're in the process of getting the dry macros.

Thanks exv152. I will start doing that.
40 Gallon Breeder

Monte

Quote from: Peekay on March 21, 2012, 08:10:26 AM
Looks great Monte!  The stand is very pro, and I love the shape of a 40G.
What are you thinking you're going to stock in there?

Thanks for the kind words peekay. I think it turned out pretty nice.Looks a lot nicer in person like most tanks do.

I love so many different species of fish it will be a hard choice. One of my favorites is the Pearl Gourami. I bred them when I was young.
Siamese algae eaters are always good to have. I have always wanted to try Anomalochromis thomasi or African Butterfly Cichlid.

Not quite sure yet still trying to decide.
40 Gallon Breeder

touchofsky

Choosing fish is such fun.  I love pearl gouramis  :)

exv152

Quote from: touchofsky on March 21, 2012, 06:57:08 PMChoosing fish is such fun.  I love pearl gouramis  :)

The pearl and golden are some of my favourites. 
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Monte

Here is an update on my tank. I purchased 5 Red Eye Tetras on friday night and they are doing great.
They are very spunky travelling all over the tank and they seem to have a lot of personality.
40 Gallon Breeder

pm

Tank and fish look great!  I am really interested in seeing the growth with the two led fixtures.  I know from some threads on the plantedtank.net that one of those was too bright for a 12 gallon long (36" x 9" x ~9"), a tank I really want.  Your tank is deeper, so should be good. 

Monte

Everything is growing fine so far.
I tried just one to start and found there to be too many dark areas and shadows so I went out and bought a second one and that made all the difference.
40 Gallon Breeder