Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

DIY Countdown/Feeder Timer

Started by Saltcreep, March 28, 2012, 01:14:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saltcreep

In reply to a couple of other threads ...... hate to threadjack, so I thought I'd post here.
I used to keep a couple of salt tanks with sumps and the biggest problem I had was remembering to turn the return pump(s) back on when feeding time was over. I came up with this feeder timer. I already had the rotary switch and coil kicking aroud in my parts box so the only things I had to buy was the box to house the three components and some sundry parts. I had most of the parts already and switch is the most expensive part so I would estimate the total cost at $25 to $30. If the attached schematic diagram isn't clear enough, you can PM me for details.
Just give the switch a twist and you get up to 30 minutes of 'off time', depending on the switch you find. It's the kind of switch you'll find in hotel bathrooms so you can't leave the heatlamps on.

bt

Good call on the separate thread.

I was considering doing something like that get a time-to-off timer and rewiring it to be a time-to-on timer.

There's a few DIY time-to-on timer kits out there, but I don't think they were meant for use as a line relay timer.

Greatwhite

I just don't turn stuff off at feeding time.. perhaps I should, to slow down the clogging of my filter socks a bit. I feed mainly slow sinking pellets between frozen shrimp.  Neither of which head into the sump very fast.  BUT I DO hate the thought of wasting perfectly good food when fry are starving in Africa.

I may just look into building something like this.

Thanks for the post!

vic622

I suppose the countdown timer could be replaced with a regular timer if you want a normally off circuit ... i.e.: display tank lights are on the timer "on" cycle and the fuge lights are activated on the "off" cycle ...

Great simple idea!
Vic
120g Peninsula Tank

Planted, high tech
Congo Tetra, Pearl Gourami, Honey Gourami
Serpae Tetra
Bronze & Pepper Corydoras, BN Plecos, Yoyo Loaches

bt

Quote from: vic622 on March 28, 2012, 03:48:28 PM
I suppose the countdown timer could be replaced with a regular timer if you want a normally off circuit ... i.e.: display tank lights are on the timer "on" cycle and the fuge lights are activated on the "off" cycle ...

There are already power bars that do that too.  I think one of the generations of Coralife timer power bars had that.  Sets of plugs that were on opposite cycles.

vic622

Hey Saltcreep, Where did you get the relay from?
Vic
120g Peninsula Tank

Planted, high tech
Serpae Tetra

Saltcreep

Quote from: vic622 on March 28, 2012, 04:21:18 PM
Hey Saltcreep, Where did you get the relay from?

As I said, it was one I had around. It was old, clunky and way overrated for the job. It was rated for at least 20A, if I remember correctly. A much more modern version is available from most electronic retailers like Reset Electronics. You mount the base, do your wiring there, and the relay just snaps into the base. You just want to make sure the cicrcuitry of the relay is rated for the load your pump(s) will put on it in continuous operation.

If I can find the link, I'll add it here. Found this one
http://www.resetelectronics.com/value/searchresult.asp

Most of these don't have the details you would need; I guess a phone call to the retailer would be in order.

vic622

Quote from: Saltcreep on March 28, 2012, 04:33:11 PM
... Reset Electronics ...

Fantastic!
I was wondering if we had any place like this in Ottawa!
Vic
120g Peninsula Tank

Planted, high tech
Serpae Tetra

Saltcreep

Quote from: vic622 on March 28, 2012, 04:40:19 PM
Fantastic!
I was wondering if we had any place like this in Ottawa!

78-B Jamie Ave., off Merivale or Hunt Club

I guess they moved :)

bt

There's also Active Electronics on Merivale between Baseline and Clyde (beside the Food Basics).