Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

GE Silicon I - White

Started by Severum, March 31, 2012, 09:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Severum

I just got in the door as Home Depot was closing and rushed to buy some silicon. When I got home and was just about to use it I realized it was white! Doh!

Being the same type of silicon but just not clear should I be worried about using it?

Its to seal an overflow so the color itself is not a concern for me as it won't be visible. I doubt anyone has bothered with the white stuff for aquariums but I'd rather keep my sump offline for as short a time as possible, and losing a half a day's curing time is what I want to avoid.

Thoughts?
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

touchofsky

I did exactly the same thing as you did, and got home with a tube of white.  I used it since it was just on a tank to house goldfish in my basement, so the colour didn't matter.  It was fine and the fish have done well all winter. 

xenon

I don't think the GE I is safe to use anymore.Read the back and you will see.

It says not to be used bellow water level.

touchofsky

Not to be argumentative  :), but just going from personal experience, and I found the GE I, to be safe and effective.  I used it on a 45 gallon tank in November, and all has been well.

I also wanted to add, that Home Hardware carries a brand of silicone marked on the front safe for aquariums, if anyone is looking for silicone.

veron

GE 1 is safe but they don't want to be liable for aquarium usage so its usually marked not safe.
Home hardware indeed has a silicone marked for aqauriums and I'ved used it twice now on BIG tanks.
That being said, there is a better adhesive/silicone but the name escapes me.

touchofsky

I just found the tube of GE Silicone I Window and Door that I used in November on the 45 gallon aquarium, and nowhere on the tube does it mention that it isn't safe for aquariums or not be used underwater. 

If the newer tubes of this product does say that, then the labelling has been changed since I bought my tube in November, 2011.

xenon

Quote from: veron on April 01, 2012, 10:25:35 AM
GE 1 is safe but they don't want to be liable for aquarium usage so its usually marked not safe.
Home hardware indeed has a silicone marked for aqauriums and I'ved used it twice now on BIG tanks.
That being said, there is a better adhesive/silicone but the name escapes me.

I heard there is a new ingredient added to the silicone that no longer makes it safe for aquariums.

This is the warning note on my tube.

NOT FOR: Surfaces that will exceed 400F (250C), food contact surfaces, aquariums.

I buy my silicone from BA. It's made by Marineland.

touchofsky

There is GE Silicone I and II, so sometimes there is some confusion, however, next time I am in Home Depot, I will check to see if the labelling has been changed on the Silcone I tube.

veron

RTV silicone adhesive is the one I was trying to think of. Its whats used to build tanks.
While I've use GE 1 , RTV is better to order.

mmaisonneuve

Beware there is 2 type of Silicon I by GE. DON'T TOUCH THE ONE FOR BATROOM AND KITCHEN. The other one id GE Silicone I for Windows and Doors....that one is safe. No worries. The Bar code for that one is 5902800600...I've just check the tubes I have home
90g Tank, 50g Sump. Super Reef Octopus 2000 skimmer , 1 Bio Beads reactor, 1 GFO Reactor, 1 Carbon Reactor, 2 Ecotech Radion XR30w, 3 Vortech MP10w ES,  Eheim 1260 Return Pump. AquaController Apex System. SPS Reef with Purple Tang, Yellow Tang, Dejardini Tang, Mated pair Madanrin, Clown, Purple Fire Fish, Bengali Cardinals, Coral Beauty. Tons and tons of Snail and Hermits

xenon

Quote from: mmaisonneuve on April 01, 2012, 06:19:13 PM
Beware there is 2 type of Silicon I by GE. DON'T TOUCH THE ONE FOR BATROOM AND KITCHEN. The other one id GE Silicone I for Windows and Doors....that one is safe. No worries. The Bar code for that one is 5902800600...I've just check the tubes I have home

My tube of GE I is neither windows/door or kitchen/bathroom.

My tube says "all purpose" so I am guessing there are 3 different types of GE I?

touchofsky

The one I used is GE Silicone I Window and Door with a barcode of 59028 00400.  I would think the last 5 digits refer to the colour.  The tube I have is white.

Severum

Hi all,

Thanks for all the quick responses! I love this community.

I've used the GE Silicon 1 in the past with no issues. I checked the labelling of this white one and its warning says: not for surfaces that exceed 400 F, food contact surfaces.

Its the window and door variety with bar code 59028 00400. Its fully cured now so I think I may hazard turning my system on while keeping a close eye on everything. In the future i'll have to plan better and get the foolproof stuff.

Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

delslo

Quote from: xenon on April 01, 2012, 05:23:40 PM
I heard there is a new ingredient added to the silicone that no longer makes it safe for aquariums.

This is the warning note on my tube.

NOT FOR: Surfaces that will exceed 400F (250C), food contact surfaces, aquariums.

I buy my silicone from BA. It's made by Marineland.

$$$$$$$

JetJumper

BigAl's is extremely expensive for silicone!!!  I buy the stuff from Home Hardware clearly marketed "For Aquarium use"  You get 3 tubes for $11.99.  I have used it on several tanks thus far and no issues.

I have used Brown GE I and not had an issue as well.  It was the Windows / Door variety.
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

mmaisonneuve

GE Silicon I is the way to go. (Windows and Doors). My Sump was redone using it and I've been using it since September 2011.....I'm sure if something was wrong I would have seen it.
90g Tank, 50g Sump. Super Reef Octopus 2000 skimmer , 1 Bio Beads reactor, 1 GFO Reactor, 1 Carbon Reactor, 2 Ecotech Radion XR30w, 3 Vortech MP10w ES,  Eheim 1260 Return Pump. AquaController Apex System. SPS Reef with Purple Tang, Yellow Tang, Dejardini Tang, Mated pair Madanrin, Clown, Purple Fire Fish, Bengali Cardinals, Coral Beauty. Tons and tons of Snail and Hermits

Severum

Ok well I've had my tank running for over a day now and everything appears status quo. Hopefully it stays that way for the forseeable future.

Until further notice, white GE Silicon I works.
Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

BOnaqua

Just use WeatherSafe Silicone from Home Hardware (blueish label).
It sais on it its aquarium safe.
I'm using it since Aug' 11, and everything is ok.
It's also cheaper than Home Depot's GE I.

BillD

A few things to note about silicone. GE Silicone I for windows and doors does say not for aquariums and not for below the waterline (even though it is safe for aquariums). However, the primary use of silicone I is as a caulking, not as an aquarium sealant, hence the warnings. The aquarium use was stumbled upon by a local who was using it in his work. He tried to make a tank, it worked, and the first all glass (Crystal) aquarium company was started. When CTC had Mastercraft, it said ideal for aquariums on the tube, the Rona house brand says aquarium safe on the label, as does the Home Hardware house brand. i would be willing to bet that Marinland doesn't manufacture any silicone, any more than Aqueon does. What they are selling is rebranded GE or Dow silicone, as are those with house brands.

JetJumper

Was just reading this:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=85398

QuoteThere are mixed opinions on it but ALL GE silicones now contain mildew inhibitors (petroleum distillates). The old MSDS didn't even show this but they've now updates their MSDS to be correct. I talked to GE about this in person about this and they tell me not to use it (though I had a friend who used to work for them and told me it was completely fine.

I've heard of some people having no problems, others had crashes. Someone on here had a crash because of it. I might have had issues from it too, but there were a number of things that happened around the same time so I can't say for sure. I recommend not using it.
.: JetJumper's Zone :.