New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Seachem Safe

Started by bergenm, April 03, 2012, 08:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bergenm

Wondering if anyone has any experience with Seachem Safe?

Sounds like Prime, but in the powdered form...
Michael

charlie

I suspect Seachem safe is a direct reply to ChloramX & yes it is powdered Prime, both Prime & Chloram x  have the same active ingredient which fails my memory now.
Errol

ajm1961

In Googling the active ingredient in Prime, I found this thread on Seachem's forum:

http://seachem.com/support/forums/showthread.php?t=3882

It discusses active ingredients in Prime, as well as Safe and other competing products (but not by name).
Interesting...
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

ajm1961

Here's some more info I found on another forum:

According to Seachem, Prime contains "complexed hydrosulfite salts."

One forum user posted:
Complexed hydrosulfite salts are not the same as hydroxymethanesulfonate. Using hydroxymethanesulfonate in a product would infringe on the patinet rights of the inventor Dr. John F. Kuhns, under the trade name Ultimate sold by his company the AquaScience Research Group, Inc., where that name and product is didtrubted by Reed Mariculture under their trade name ClorAm-X. Khuns's, then sold rights to Kordon only, who then relabled it Amquel. There is also a distinct smell difference between the two where Prime has a much more 'Sulfur' like smell to it and a reason for many why it is not as popular as Amquel. Prime also has in it bisulfites, besides the hydrosulfites but so do others.

Mardle use things like Aliphatic Amine salts, hydrosulfite salts or sodium hydroxymethane sulfinic acid. Tetra uses Sodium hydroxymethylsulfinate ( different than "sulfonate"). Wardley ChlorOut, uses Sodium hydrosulfite, Sodium dithionite or Sodium hydrosulphite and Monopotassium phosphate. Other stuff found in some of these is Sodium formaldehydebisulfite.

SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!