Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Electrical rates changing May 1st

Started by bt, April 20, 2012, 11:13:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bt

TOU rates going up 0.3, 0.8 and 0.9 ¢/kWh for off-peak, mid-peak and peak periods respectively.

Non-TOU rates are going up 0.4 ¢/kWh for the first 600 kWh in the summer (1000 kWh in the winter), and up 0.5 ¢/kWh for usage beyond that.

http://www.ontarioenergyboard.ca/OEB/Consumers/Electricity/Electricity+Prices

exv152

Wait until the rates go up 46% by 2015 like the auditor general warned, that coupled with increased gasoline, groceries etc etc, and the politicians can only play the blame game, back and forth, but will do nothing about it because it benefits them too. Might be time to look into installing some solar panels on my house, and LEDs on my tanks...
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

xenon

Great time to buy into solar panel stocks. :)

Greatwhite

Quote from: xenon on April 20, 2012, 12:35:06 PM
Great time to buy into solar panel stocks. :)

and Geo Thermal heating/cooling systems... and horses for transportation.

Lurch1

If you do the research, solar doesn't save any money in the end. The batteries alone will take away your savings and need to be replaced too often.

JetJumper

Quote from: Lurch1 on April 20, 2012, 03:58:45 PM
If you do the research, solar doesn't save any money in the end. The batteries alone will take away your savings and need to be replaced too often.

I beg to differ.

I know several people with solar systems selling back to the grid.  They are on par to pay off their system in 6-7 years total from installation.  Then the rest is profit.  These are installations that cost over $60,000

I personally am in the process of investigating this option for my house as I have the correct facing roof lines.

.: JetJumper's Zone :.

xenon

That's great if you plan to stay in your house for 10+ years.

I like to move every 2-3 years. :(

Lurch1

Quote from: JetJumper on April 20, 2012, 04:09:37 PM
I beg to differ.

I know several people with solar systems selling back to the grid.  They are on par to pay off their system in 6-7 years total from installation.  Then the rest is profit.  These are installations that cost over $60,000

I personally am in the process of investigating this option for my house as I have the correct facing roof lines.

And that was at 80 cents a kwh. It droped to 67 cents and now the program has closed all together. You can sell it back to the grid, but not at the high rates that once made it profitable.

JetJumper

I believe they are planning phase 2.0.  It will not pay as much, but it will still be profitable in the long term. 
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Nerine

we were lucky to get into the solar program and are very happy with it!!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

Lurch1

Quote from: JetJumper on April 20, 2012, 06:29:01 PM
I believe they are planning phase 2.0.  It will not pay as much, but it will still be profitable in the long term. 

If you can get a contract with the government then by all means jump on it. My coworker took out a small business loan to the tune of 96,000 and will have it pain in 8 years. After that he will rake in 1400 a month. I was hoping the left would realize there is no money left and stop the programs, we shall have to wait and see.

Hookup

I'm seriously considering shutting down my tank. Hydro bills are way too high already.  Wife will kill me but damn this is getting expensive.

bt

Quote from: Lurch1 on April 20, 2012, 08:15:02 PMI was hoping the left would realize there is no money left and stop the programs, we shall have to wait and see.

They're already contracted for the existing installations though.  Just stopping the program would lead to some pretty hefty lawsuits the government would have no chance of winning.

touchofsky

I look at my aquarium hobby, like any other hobby.  If I had a golf membership, for example, that would cost me $ every year, and would increase in price as time went on.  I get so much enjoyment out of my aquariums, that it is worth the cost to me.

Lurch1

Quote from: bt on April 20, 2012, 08:57:59 PM
They're already contracted for the existing installations though.  Just stopping the program would lead to some pretty hefty lawsuits the government would have no chance of winning.

They would of course have to honor contracts signed, but initiating new ones from this point on I think would be foolish.