Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

dazed and confused

Started by brotherluv, April 23, 2012, 11:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brotherluv

Is it just me or does there seem to be distinct hostility between certain "freshies" and "salties" on this forum?  What's up with that?  I love both sides of the hobby having 3 SW tanks and 4 FW tanks. 

groupie02

There's always been something between the groups on this site. It's like we like to poke each other to see if we'll get a reaction. Note that this is not unique to OVAS and it's web site but you normally do not see it as most other sites/clubs do not have both comunities sharing the same space.
I'm now considered a salty but I grew up on the fresh side of the track :P   

P.S. I suspect that this very thread will soon degenerate into a flame war... but I really hope it doesn't.

Feivel

I started fresh most of my childhood and grew into saltwater when i was able to afford it on myown . Thanks to you guys i now have a beautifull reef. I help when i can and i answer as many questions as my experience sees fit. Saltwater or not.

Cheers guys.

Dakotamay

Hmmm. I hadn't noticed that there seemed to be tensions between the groups. I agree with the others. I'm a salty. Grew up freshie.  Thought I would never ever go salt because of the difficulty and cost to maintain a tank.  I like both sides of the hobby too. You can certainly find beautiful unique set ups in both sides of the hobby.  I say do what you enjoy and let others enjoy what they enjoy. Help out when you can and if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all.

robt18

Quote from: groupie02 on April 23, 2012, 11:26:53 PM

P.S. I suspect that this very thread will soon degenerate into a flame war... but I really hope it doesn't.

*thread being monitored*

Greatwhite

Quote from: robt18 on April 24, 2012, 09:05:47 AM
*thread being monitored*

*monitor being monitored* :D

I can't say I've noticed any hostility between salties and freshies - except when someone posts for advice on a salt issue and a freshie doesn't notice it's in the salt section and gives advice that would only really make sense for fresh tanks.  Sometimes that leads to a negative comment toward the advice given.  But it goes both ways...

I don't know what the numbers look like... If there's more fresh than salt, although I suspect there is... (I don't really pay attention to the fresh side, really)...  Maybe an Ottawa-wide OVAS tug o' war of fresh vs salt is in order?

brotherluv

I certainly did not mean to start any type of war...not even a tug o war...lol :P.  Maybe it's just my imagination but I seem to see sarcastic remarks directed towards the salties for not frequenting the planned events.  I don't understand why this is the case...I suppose I should keep my opinion to myself until I  sign up for a membership and stay on observe mode until then. 

Greatwhite

Quote from: brotherluv on April 24, 2012, 09:49:15 AM
I certainly did not mean to start any type of war...not even a tug o war...lol :P.  Maybe it's just my imagination but I seem to see sarcastic remarks directed towards the salties for not frequenting the planned events.  I don't understand why this is the case...I suppose I should keep my opinion to myself until I  sign up for a membership and stay on observe mode until then. 

Ooooh... Planned events.. Yeah... Most of the events I've seen are more geared toward fresh tanks, really.  I've met a few fresh water people in person, and they'd ask "are you going to the auction" or "meeting" or whatever?  Nope.. "oh, right, you're salty... not much for you there.."

Fishtail used to do sunday salt get togethers, but I didn't go there either. :)  It's too far for me to go - down a hill and turn right... :)

Hookup

I think it's simply that both sides are passionate people and both sides have blinders on from time to time...

Fresh water is not the same as salt (or so us salt people think), so most of what is said by fresh people, with respect to their forums, is ignored...  and I'm sure vise-versa is true as well...

I also think that the club has a lot of history, which isn't salt or freshwater related.  

exv152

Quote from: brotherluv on April 23, 2012, 11:10:03 PMIs it just me or does there seem to be distinct hostility between certain "freshies" and "salties" on this forum?  What's up with that?  I love both sides of the hobby having 3 SW tanks and 4 FW tanks. 

The key word here is "certain", because most are easy going, and able to put all this into perspective.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

sas

Quote from: Hookup link=topic=53585.msg300070#msg300070 date=133527645

I also think that the club has a lot of history, which isn't salt or freshwater related.  

/quote]

So, I just wonder can we all just move on, reliving the past is tiring and takes away from our wonderful hobby.

Quote from: Greatwhite on April 24, 2012, 09:15:54 AM
*monitor being monitored* :D

And yes, these types of threads are watched sadly :(,
I'd much prefer to be spending my time tinkering with my tanks and posting helpful ideas.

Lets all get back to our hobby without the drama, plea............se? :)

Fishnut

I've never been able to figure it out either.  From the meeting planning perspective, the salt water community has a long history of not getting too involved.  That's why the meetings are geared more to the freshwater side of the hobby.  If we had more salt water hobbiests involved, we would certainly be interested in more salt water activities within the club.

IMO, if you're interested in aquariums, you're going to get something from every meeting.  Just because you have salt water tanks doesn't mean you're not going to learn something from a planted tank meeting.  Who knows...you may be inspired to try a small planted tank!  If people get so focused on their specific interest and ignore the hobby as a whole, that's what creates the tension IMO.  It's the old classic "mine is better than yours".  That may be the case but when things go a bit too far, it causes tension.

Just relax everyone!  Enjoy our hobby.  If you think you've got something better than someone else, leave the ego out of it.  There's always someone out there who's is better anyways so you might as well have fun and share.

Nerine

oooorr turn freshies over to the salt side even ;) I've been toying with the idea of going salt now for a few years and talk to people at the meetings every once in awhile about their salt set ups :) but have noticed not a ton of salties show up at meetings.
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

Hookup

I never understood why it was such a big deal that the salt types don't attend events.  Who cares.  If they want to attend, they will attend.

As close as I can tell tension are created because the forum is not viewed as part of the club by some of the more vocal executives/freshwater folks and they want to get more people into the club, thus invalidating the "forum only" members.

Greatwhite

Quote from: Hookup on April 24, 2012, 11:23:08 AM
I never understood why it was such a big deal that the salt types don't attend events.  Who cares.  If they want to attend, they will attend.

As close as I can tell tension are created because the forum is not viewed as part of the club by some of the more vocal executives/freshwater folks and they want to get more people into the club, thus invalidating the "forum only" members.

Good point... I look at this as a forum, and often forget that there IS a club behind it.  I am a paid member because I value the forum as a reliable source of information.  I'm not as interested in the get togethers and whatnot.  I'm sure I'm not the only one with this view.

Darth

I have no opinion either way, fresh salt dog cat rat mouse hamster whatever you keep as long as you are passionate about go for it. Yes I do see a lot of the events are geared towards fresh water tanks. But it doesnt bother me I frequent the forum but I do not join, as GW pointed out I forget there is a club here sometimes and I come for the forum I don't join because I dont attend meetings I shop pretty much in 1 or 2 stores, and what I buy is always on sale so I would not benefit from the discount because you don't the sale price and the discount. That being said I do enjoy the forum because it is local, can I join another forum for the same thing yes, but I would not get the close ottawa community. I don't see why anyone cares who goes to meetings and who doesnt, I have over the years seen the club try and placate salt enthusiats, but the result is always the same "shooting star" everyone is all fired up in the begining, and then fizzle before it gets off the ground, and that is nothing to do with the club and more of the people
But I love fish fresh salt brackish some of your fresh tanks put some reefs to shame!

exv152

This seems like a conflict between individuals, which has nothing to do with the two groups as a whole.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

FocusFin

Quote from: Nerine on April 24, 2012, 11:06:37 AM
oooorr turn freshies over to the salt side even ;) I've been toying with the idea of going salt now for a few years and talk to people at the meetings every once in awhile about their salt set ups :) but have noticed not a ton of salties show up at meetings.

We like to corrupt freshies like you ;D

110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

Greatwhite

Quote from: FocusFin on April 24, 2012, 01:19:33 PM

Maniacal laugh... maniacal laugh.. maniacal laugh..

exv152

Quote from: FocusFin on April 24, 2012, 01:19:33 PM

Is she being corrupted? Or is she infiltrating the dark side of the hobby? Oops, I've said too much...
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g