Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Help ID'ing

Started by Aiglos, October 27, 2005, 09:20:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiglos

Hello I was hoping someone could help me ID the unidentified small round green balls that are growing in my tank;  there is a large cluster growing in the bottum left corner of the picture and a large one growing on the middle rock that is starting to sprout another one alot smaller;

Are these some type of egg ? Coral ? Animal ?   I don't know where to start looking;  the closest guess I had was frogspawn but then again it doesnt even look close to that.  

Any help would be apreciated in identifying or atleast pointing me in the right direction.

Thanks

Aiglos

Oki to be honest I have no idea what it is; I have no idea why I said frogspawn, I just think it looks like fish eggs; but I have only 1 juv Damsel in the tank so that can't be it;  

Any help would be apreciated ;   Im curious if I have to start feeding it something or If I should it from the tank or what; Im very curious.  IM really liking this live rock; All kinds of goodies;

Nelson

Have you seen the movie "Alien" :shock:   The growths are really interesting and since you haven't had any fish in the tank, I would guess that it's a creature/invertebrate that was dormant in your rock...until now :shock:

PaleoFishGirl

Whoa! Very cool! I bet you could sell some of those at the auction :D

Aiglos

The thing that frustrates me most is that I don't know where to start looking, I have 3 large aquarium books on salt water with lots of color pictures and I can't find anything like it;  Its growing by the day aswel so that is making me rule out eggs; as I don't think eggs grow like that.

I don't have a good enough camera to even give you a detailed look at what it is either.    

Google is of no help,  I typed in "salt water green round ball transparent"    and all kinds of other variations and got nothing haha.

Aiglos

Quote from: "PaleoFishGirl"Whoa! Very cool! I bet you could sell some of those at the auction :D

Unless its POISON !   I just want to know what it is, im so curious haha.  

I came across this picture on google images
http://www.seaslugforum.net/factsheet.cfm?base=polychaete

I have all 3 in the tank.   I just recently noticed "C" poping up, one day there was nothing on the rock, the next day I had the white little worm. Pretty cool

Nelson

Quote from: "Aiglos"The thing that frustrates me most is that I don't know where to start looking, I have 3 large aquarium books on salt water with lots of color pictures and I can't find anything like it;  Its growing by the day aswel so that is making me rule out eggs; as I don't think eggs grow like that.

I don't have a good enough camera to even give you a detailed look at what it is either.    

Google is of no help,  I typed in "salt water green round ball transparent"    and all kinds of other variations and got nothing haha.[/quot

Seems to me that with all the very good sw sites out there that if you posted your pics and description that you would have your answer pretty quickly.  Just a suggestion.  You'll have to keep us informed though...it's an interesting mystery.

squeeker

Is it bubble algae?  I've heard of it, but never seen it, so I don't know what it actually looks like.

squeeker

Yup, Julie, that's what I was talkin' bout.

RaceFaceR1

Yup that is bubble algea...  If you take it off make sure not to pop them cause it WILL spread all over the place...  To get more info, go to www.aquariacanada.com and make a search, you will find lots of info I am sure!!!  :wink:

Emeral crabs will eat it...  They are only 10$each at MS.  I have 2 in my tank...  They are very intresting crabs!

Marc

Aiglos

Thank you for all of your help;  It is definatly Bubble Algae - Valonia.  

Will have to see if I can get one of those emerald crabs or just carefully remove it.

thanks again

Julie

How's 1984 going?  I remember taking that book in English literature.  Talk about a scary concept, and the worst part is it's coming true.

Julie

Aiglos

I love 1984;  I have had my copy for about 10 years and its pretty worn down;   I mainly just like George orwell and wished he had of written more books.

On a side note;  After reading on the net about the Bubble Algae it doesnt seem that undesirable and I do kind of like the looks;  I think im going to leave it.   (for now)

Julie

I aged myself didn't I - my copy is 20 years old.

Julie

Aiglos

Quote from: "Julie"I aged myself didn't I - my copy is 20 years old.

Julie

Not really; If you got it for your first birthday you would be younger then me :-)   Its always a possibility.

Julie

Too darn funny, so I should lend it to my daughters??
:D
Julie

Aiglos

Haha :-)  oki you got me,  no more from me.   Now you've aged yourself.

Julie

Speaking of age, it took me a long time to figure out you had a doberman in your avatar because I don't usually wear my glasses.
Anyways how do you like your doberman?

Julie

Aiglos

Its not a very good picture; my Camera isnt very good;

I love Dobermans; they are the ultimate guy dog I think.  however our trainer is female aswell as our breeder.  funny enough 90% of the Handlers at competitions are female .  

The Dog is great though; we have had some dominence  issues with the dog picking on robyn by growling and nipping at pant legs, but now that she is "being boss" all our issues are gone.  At the end of the day they are just big sucky lapdogs.