Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Small all-in-one reef setup

Started by bizfromqc, May 10, 2012, 09:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bizfromqc

Following a link in another thread ("tank placement") led me to look into all-in-one systems. I eventually ended up here: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=132714

I have a bunch of freshwater tanks but have been looking at the smaller (pico/nano) reef setups and I really love the look of these tanks and I'd like to take the plunge one day...

I've got pretty much all the equipment to try and pull it off. I've got a spare 10G, plenty of plexi, a spare MJ1200, heaters, etc.. All I would need is a decent light to go on top.

I've never had a saltwater system before and this would be my first venture to the salty side, any reasons I should NOT be attempting this?

Thanks for your input

Eric

bt

Only thing I'd say is that small systems can have their water quality turn quickly.  Though I doubt any more quickly than a similar sized FW tank can turn.  Just avoid delicate corals until you've got a feel for SW-specific parameters and you'll likely be fine.

You only need to worry about the lighting if you're keeping coral.  If you've got a spare fixture sitting around, you can always start fish only and just plan appropriately for corals down the road (IE: only reef-safe fish).

Feivel

I agree. Only difference i would leave the Pico or nanocubes for a bit. I would start a 30g. I quickly upgraded my sweet to a 75g just after a year of 30g. I found the 30 was getting too small. I would go bigger than a 10g IMO.

exv152

I know a guy who has a pico-reef with a clown goby, and a couple of crabs and snails, all without a filter - just powerheads and WCs.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

bt

Eh, I think 10g can be fine to start with.

I'm actually considering starting a 10G species tank in addition to the pain 75G tank.  Have a mated pair of something small - maybe something like a Catalina Goby that can't be kept in the same conditions as the main tank.

bizfromqc

I just like that everything is contained in the one tank, and contrary to what some people have said, I don't mind seeing the fuge on the side or a black cover. I might just give it a go and see.

I only have a mj1200 now and from reading on it, it might be too much for a 10G, err...

bt

In circulation or power-head mode?

In circulation mode - oh yeah, way too much.  Though even the 400 is probably too much in circulation mode for a 10G.

In power-head mode, it would depend on what you're keeping.  You'd be looking at a turnover of around 30x per hour with the 1200, which would be okay with things that want high current.  Might work reasonably well with a diffuser of some kind as well.  For direct flow, I'd stick to a 400 or 600.

Here's a RC thread where someone did the same thing to a 10G, and used a 1200: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2122350

He said later in the thread that he swapped it for a 600, but a 900 might have been better.

Aww man, now I'm getting really tempted to do this too.

bizfromqc

Quote from: bt on May 10, 2012, 12:14:03 PM
In circulation or power-head mode?

In circulation mode - oh yeah, way too much.  Though even the 400 is probably too much in circulation mode for a 10G.

In power-head mode, it would depend on what you're keeping.  You'd be looking at a turnover of around 30x per hour with the 1200, which would be okay with things that want high current.  Might work reasonably well with a diffuser of some kind as well.  For direct flow, I'd stick to a 400 or 600.

Here's a RC thread where someone did the same thing to a 10G, and used a 1200: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2122350

He said later in the thread that he swapped it for a 600, but a 900 might have been better.

Aww man, now I'm getting really tempted to do this too.

It would be as a circulation pump getting water in and out of the fuge as shown in the link I included at the beginning of the thread.

The poster there used a MJ400 for his 5.5 setup and as mentioned in the link you provided, buddy would opt for a 600/900 if he were to do it again.

err... so now I need a smaller pump.

bt

Quote from: bizfromqc on May 10, 2012, 12:27:29 PMIt would be as a circulation pump getting water in and out of the fuge as shown in the link I included at the beginning of the thread.

That's where the terminology gets a little odd.  Using it as a return pump is actually "powerhead mode".

I'd be tempted to try it first, with something to split the flow into 2 or 3 nozzles or something before you go out and get a new pump.  It might create enough head pressure to bring the current down to the right level.  And hey, not like you've got anything to lose trying it first.  You've already got the pump, and multiple circulation sources are a better anyways.

bizfromqc

Quote from: bt on May 10, 2012, 12:44:22 PM
That's where the terminology gets a little odd.  Using it as a return pump is actually "powerhead mode".

I'd be tempted to try it first, with something to split the flow into 2 or 3 nozzles or something before you go out and get a new pump.  It might create enough head pressure to bring the current down to the right level.  And hey, not like you've got anything to lose trying it first.  You've already got the pump, and multiple circulation sources are a better anyways.

Recommendations on attachment for the multiple outputs, nozzles?

I've got a lot more reading to do, that's for sure. I'm in no rush to do this but if and when I do, I want to do it right.

Eric

bt

Loc-line is pretty common.  But you might be able to get away with just pvc or flexible tubing and adapters.  I'd go for the flexible stuff, personally.  1/2" diameter I think.  Easy enough to take the fitting from the maxijet to the store with you, though.

Might be able to get away without a nozzle on the end of the tube, too, but it would probably be a good idea to have some way of adjusting the direction of the output.  It would depend if you just want the tube sticking out of the barrier like in the nano-reef thread, or if you want a bulkhead like in the RC thread.  Loc-Line is the only suitable nozzle I know of, but others might have alternatives.

Easiest is probably a Y adapter on the display side, with a small section of loc-line hose on each output and a straight nozzle on each.

I might go a bit more complicated though, and have the Y on the fuge side, feeding 2 outputs into the display so I could make more turbulent flow.

bt

The "easiest" option would look something like the return in this:

bizfromqc

Food for thought, thanks a lot for the great ideas.
Lot of stuff to look into.

bt

It's got me looking into it now too!

I'm not sure if my wife will be happy about this or not, since we're still in the process of stocking our main tank...

bizfromqc

I'm a total noob at plumbing so bare with me here.

I like the idea of having two nozzles coming out to the display side of the AIO tank. Loc-tite seems like the way to go since you can pretty much configure it how you want and direct flow where needed.

If I use the MJ1200 as the main pump and want to use the loc-tite components, I assume I need a bulkhead with

1) No threads on the pump side so that I can hook it up to the output of the MJ via flexible tubing and clamps
2) Internal threads on the DT side so that I can hook up a loc-tite Y connector, two loc-tite flexible segments and nozzles

Am I right of totally out to fish (no pun intended)?

If so, is there a terminology I should be looking for when checking out bulkheads online? I see mentions of "slip" and have no idea what that means... I was also thinking of using 1/2" fittings and plumbing since that would nicely match the output of the MJ.

Thanks for the help,
Eric

zoom111

*loc-line

This picture might clarify a bit more how the pieces go together.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/trekbear/loc-linepic.jpg

Slip fittings do not have threads and just "slip" into each other, still a pretty snug fit and with the flow going to the path of least resistance the slip fittings will not "blow-out" on you.

Chances are that your maxi jet came with a small deflector to put onto the tip of the powerhead. This is a slip fitting.

bizfromqc

Great, I'll have to check that out at home (photobucket blocked at work).

Yeah, loc-line  ;) loc-tite is something else that I used in the past, not the same thing hehe Sorry about that.

zoom111

zoom111

Quote from: bizfromqc on May 11, 2012, 02:30:20 PM

Yeah, loc-line  ;) loc-tite is something else that I used in the past, not the same thing hehe Sorry about that.

No worries  ;D

bizfromqc

No love :( Basically, if its an image hosting site, it's blocked...

I'll check it out tonight no worries, thanks for the 2nd try though.