Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

MAY is OVAS Election Month!

Started by Fishnut, May 24, 2012, 06:52:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishnut

Sorry for the short notice reminder everyone!

This month is the OVAS Executive Election.  There are still several spots that we need filled in our executive committee, but if none of those suit you and you want to volunteer, please feel free to put your name in for another one!  Here's the link for declaring your interest: http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?topic=53314.0

If there is a contest for any positions, please come vote!

You must be a current member in good standing.  Rewards...your 2012/2013 membership will be free, we usually have fun at the exec meetings and there is some good food and tours of each others' fish rooms, etc.

Since the election doesn't take too long, there will be some social activities planned for the rest of the meeting.  I want to get people mingling who wouldn't normally mingle!  I'll set up some tables with topics of discussion and every 10 minutes or so, I'll ring the bell and everyone moves to a new table.  It's all going to be fishy related!  I also have the Amano DVD on standby if I don't get too many participants in the discussions.

There will be a mini auction at the end of the meeting plus the usual door prizes.

I hope to see everyone there!

Cheers
Sylvia

garnpet

Monday, May 28th starting at 7:00pm at JA Dulude arena!

Please consider volunteering to help out your club.
1 fish, 2 fish, <°{{{><  , <°{{{><  

sas

garnpet

Unfortunately because we allow people to be nominated during the meeting allowing proxy voting would be unfair as you would not know all of the candidates running for a position.
1 fish, 2 fish, <°{{{><  , <°{{{><  

charlie

Quote from: garnpet on May 24, 2012, 09:31:18 PM
Monday, May 28th starting at 7:00pm at JA Dulude arena!

Please consider volunteering to help out your club.

It is sad that your local hobby club that gives so much to our local hobbyist via several forms other than this forum & gets a ton of verbal contribution on what the club should do is not getting folks willing to step up and volunteer.
Errol

androo303

I'd love to volunteer, but with so much going in my life right now I really wouldnt feel right jumping in and helping while not giving 100%. I have vowed to myself though that I'd like to start coming out to meetings and providing a helping hand.

Andrew

Nyx

Unfortunately, I have permanent health issues that prevent me from committing to attending meetings with any sort of regularity as I have no way of knowing in advance if/when I'd be well enough to attend. Otherwise, I would have gladly volunteered as OVAS webmaster because I have the time and skills for the position but since I can't commit to attending two meetings a month (one exec meeting; one regular meeting), I'm not a viable candidate. Sometimes, Errol, reasons for not volunteering are not just about people looking for handouts without the willingness to reciprocate.  *shrug*
9G planted Edge w/ pure strain Endler's livebearers

charlie

Quote from: Nyx on May 28, 2012, 12:13:08 PM
Unfortunately, I have permanent health issues that prevent me from committing to attending meetings with any sort of regularity as I have no way of knowing in advance if/when I'd be well enough to attend. Otherwise, I would have gladly volunteered as OVAS webmaster because I have the time and skills for the position but since I can't commit to attending two meetings a month (one exec meeting; one regular meeting), I'm not a viable candidate. Sometimes, Errol, reasons for not volunteering are not just about people looking for handouts without the willingness to reciprocate.  *shrug*
I understand they are legitimate reasons such as yours Claude, i can relate to your situation.
Errol

Hookup

Quote from: Nyx on May 28, 2012, 12:13:08 PM

Sorry to hear about your situation Nyx.    However, I wanted to chime in and support what you said.. Sometimes, reasons for not volunteering are not just about people looking for handouts without the willingness to reciprocate.  Sometimes the implication comes across a bit offensive, though I'm sure none was intended.  The members (and non-members) I talk to are in the same situation but for varied reasons such as health, work, children, other clubs/events, in compatible days for meetings, etc, etc...  Many people want to help out but cannot commit to one year of meetings. 

Maybe to help augment the limited full-time volunteers this year even more people can help on an event by event basis, or a meeting by meeting basis?  This might help by limiting the requirement for long-term commitment to the club but get more hands on-deck to keep things running.

Just a thought.