Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Plantaholics Anonymous Part |||

Started by daworldisblack, May 31, 2012, 12:50:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexv

Cool, so far the following people have confirmed:

exv152
wolfiewill
daworldisblack
fischkopp
sylros
charlie
+me :)

So, basically I'll show my 225 gal planted setup with the sump in the basement. It's a fairly high-tech tank with circulation pump, continuous drip water change system, UV sterilization, 3x dosing pump for ferts, high-light, CO2 injected. I'm still trying to strike the balance to keep the algae at bay and keep the plants flourish. I'm sure it's going to be an interesting discussion. :)

I also have 55 gal planted tank that has it's own share of problems :) but different from my main tank.

As last time, we could bring some plants for trade if anyone is interested. I can give pail-sized loads of najas grass that filled my 33 gal shrimp/platy breeding tank.

I'll get some food/drinks too, so we have ourselves entertained even more :)
220g FW Community planted: SAE (5), Puntius denisonii (4), clown loach (2), Yoyo loach (3), kuhli loach (3), otocinclus affinis (2), rummynose tetra (3), harlequin rasbora (17), rope fish (1), glass catfish (3), bamboo shrimp (2), upside-down catfish (2), Chinese algae eater (2), rubber-lipped pleco (2), cherry shrimp (many)

55g FW Community planted: Black ghost knifefish (2), Armored bichir (2), banjo catfish (2),  Rosy tetra (2)

charlie

Quote from: alexv on March 26, 2013, 09:39:02 PM
Cool, so far the following people have confirmed:

exv152
wolfiewill
daworldisblack
fischkopp
sylros
Charlie
+me :)

So, basically I'll show my 225 gal planted setup with the sump in the basement. It's a fairly high-tech tank with circulation pump, continuous drip water change system, UV sterilization, 3x dosing pump for ferts, high-light, CO2 injected. I'm still trying to strike the balance to keep the algae at bay and keep the plants flourish. I'm sure it's going to be an interesting discussion. :)

I also have 55 gal planted tank that has it's own share of problems :) but different from my main tank.

As last time, we could bring some plants for trade if anyone is interested. I can give pail-sized loads of najas grass that filled my 33 gal shrimp/platy breeding tank.

I'll get some food/drinks too, so we have ourselves entertained even more :)
Just added myself to the list  ;)

Dxpert

Mind if one more person joins? I'm fairly new to the hobby, but I had a blast at the auction and recently setup co2 on my tank (Thanks Charlie!) It would be a great to get some more ideas and no doubt learn a little more.

alexv

No problem at all. You are very welcome.

Alexv
exv152
wolfiewill
daworldisblack
fischkopp
sylros
charlie
Dxpert
220g FW Community planted: SAE (5), Puntius denisonii (4), clown loach (2), Yoyo loach (3), kuhli loach (3), otocinclus affinis (2), rummynose tetra (3), harlequin rasbora (17), rope fish (1), glass catfish (3), bamboo shrimp (2), upside-down catfish (2), Chinese algae eater (2), rubber-lipped pleco (2), cherry shrimp (many)

55g FW Community planted: Black ghost knifefish (2), Armored bichir (2), banjo catfish (2),  Rosy tetra (2)

alexv

Here is an idea. Why don't you guys (and gals) bring water samples from your planted tanks. And we can do some comparative water analysis to compare what each tank has. I would definitely love to know where I stand in relation to others with my fertilizer dosing...

wolfiewill

Quote from: alexv on April 07, 2013, 09:50:37 PM
Here is an idea. Why don't you guys (and gals) bring water samples from your planted tanks. And we can do some comparative water analysis to compare what each tank has. I would definitely love to know where I stand in relation to others with my fertilizer dosing...

Great! How many samples can I bring?
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

alexv

Quote from: wolfiewill on April 08, 2013, 08:09:22 AM
Great! How many samples can I bring?

Doesn't really matter for me. :) Just label them so you know which tank they came from.

pm

Hey, I might be able to make this one after all.  1 more okay?  ;D

Shawn84

Can I join since I am available that day :)
A bunch a fishes.....
A bunch a tanks...........

alexv

Ok, I have sent separate PMs with the address to both of you. So, the current list of people is:

Alexv
exv152
wolfiewill
daworldisblack
fischkopp
sylros
charlie
Dxpert
pm
Shawn84

That's gonna be fun !  :P

alexv

By the way, just wanted to confirm, has everybody received my PM with the address details?

Don't forget, we are meeting on Saturday at 2:00 pm at my place... See you soon.

daworldisblack

Looking for a ride if anyone is going down from my neck of the woods at meadowlands/fisher? Thanks!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

charlie

Quote from: daworldisblack on April 11, 2013, 11:22:03 PM
Looking for a ride if anyone is going down from my neck of the woods at meadowlands/fisher? Thanks!
Rah if you can`t get a ride from someone closer to you , LMK i`ll do a slight detour & get you.
Errol

daworldisblack

Quote from: charlie on April 12, 2013, 10:08:17 AM
Rah if you can`t get a ride from someone closer to you , LMK i`ll do a slight detour & get you.
Errol

Thanks Errol, I'll let you know!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

lucius

I have no knowledge of plants and I would just like to sit in the corner and listen.  Do you have room for one more?

alexv

Ok, sure thing. I'll reserve a corner for you :)

Alexv
exv152
wolfiewill
daworldisblack
fischkopp
sylros
charlie
Dxpert
pm
Shawn84
lucius

pworthing

Hi Alex,
My plants are growing but not properly.  I would also love to pick up any advice I can.

I know it is late, but any chance we can make it a dozen?

If so, please let me know if I can bring something.
125G - Mixed Africans

wolfiewill

Yes, Alex, can we bring something? I know we were to let you know if there were any plants we could contribute but I'm tapped out at this point. And I wouldn't know where to put anything new either.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

alexv

Quote from: wolfiewill on April 12, 2013, 08:04:13 PM
Yes, Alex, can we bring something? I know we were to let you know if there were any plants we could contribute but I'm tapped out at this point. And I wouldn't know where to put anything new either.

Feel free. If you have interesting plants, by all means :) I know I'm looking for more foreground plants. Like hairgrass and the like. I ruined the batch I got from you last time. It succumbed to algae... :)

I'm sure some of the people who are coming could use some plant variety as well. I can share some cuttings too. It's just it would be bad if you bring a common plant and nobody wants it :) Feels awkward. That's why I said let people know what you can bring to see if there is interest, so you don't have to bring it back home or just throw away. That'd be a shame...

So, pworthing, you are welcome to join. Unfortunately it looks like fischkopp will not be able to make it. :(

Alexv
exv152
wolfiewill
daworldisblack
fischkopp
sylros
charlie
Dxpert
pm
Shawn84
lucius
pworthing

alexv

Oh, one more thing, if you have MTS (Malaysian trumpet snails), bring as many as you can. My tank is ready for them (and so are my loaches). I'm trying to establish the population of MTS in my tank, but it looks like my two clown loaches (and the yoyo) get them pretty quickly. So, if you have them and think they are pests, catch as many as you can and bring them over!