Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Plantaholics Anonymous Part |||

Started by daworldisblack, May 31, 2012, 12:50:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfiewill

Do you want hair grass or dwarf hair grass? Eleocharis acicularis or E. parvula?
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

alexv

Quote from: wolfiewill on April 12, 2013, 10:16:53 PM
Do you want hair grass or dwarf hair grass? Eleocharis acicularis or E. parvula?

A bit of dwarf, if possible. Thanks.
220g FW Community planted: SAE (5), Puntius denisonii (4), clown loach (2), Yoyo loach (3), kuhli loach (3), otocinclus affinis (2), rummynose tetra (3), harlequin rasbora (17), rope fish (1), glass catfish (3), bamboo shrimp (2), upside-down catfish (2), Chinese algae eater (2), rubber-lipped pleco (2), cherry shrimp (many)

55g FW Community planted: Black ghost knifefish (2), Armored bichir (2), banjo catfish (2),  Rosy tetra (2)

daworldisblack

I will have an SAE available for free. Anyone interested?
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

sylros

Hi guys,

I've got some hygrophilia polysperma, here's a picture: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hygrophila_polysperma.JPG

This plant does well in all kind of condition, the more light the redder it gets. It's more of a background plant because it can grow as tall as you let it. Great beginner plant, it doesn't need CO2 but if it does, it just gets bushier and bigger leaves.

Anyone want to try them?

I'll take xmas moss, or singapour moss, anubia coffeelia...and any red plant. Asking for a lot hein? Sorry, it's because I am in the middle of building some tanks and the stores don't have any plants that I'm looking for. I will trade later on 'cause I plan to  grow the ones that are hard to get.

I'll take that SAE off your hands, I've got one that is lonely.

What shall we bring as of food or drink? I can't wait!

See you all tomorrow afternoon...rain or shine!

alexv

I have some red plants I can share :)

And also I have the food covered...
220g FW Community planted: SAE (5), Puntius denisonii (4), clown loach (2), Yoyo loach (3), kuhli loach (3), otocinclus affinis (2), rummynose tetra (3), harlequin rasbora (17), rope fish (1), glass catfish (3), bamboo shrimp (2), upside-down catfish (2), Chinese algae eater (2), rubber-lipped pleco (2), cherry shrimp (many)

55g FW Community planted: Black ghost knifefish (2), Armored bichir (2), banjo catfish (2),  Rosy tetra (2)

alexv

One more thing, I have some equipment I have no use for that I'd be willing to sell/give away. So if you want something, you can have it. I will give a decent price for the stuff :)

- (Broken) Odyssea 48" 4 x 64W light fixture with moonlights. I think one ballast needs to be replaced. And the bulbs are used.

- Odyssea 36" 2 x 96W light fixture with moonlights. Works fine but needs new bulbs and probably replacement of the fan since it gets noisy.

- (New, never used) Jebo 36W UV sterilizier with spare bulb. 220V version. But I can add a 50W 110->220V power adapter.

- 24" light fixture with singe 18" 15W T8 bulb (old)

daworldisblack

I dont mind the 24" light fixture with singe 18" 15W T8 bulb ! Let me know how much to bring :)

pm

Well it looks like I will not be free until 3:30ish  :(

Might not be able to make this one... shame as it is only like 5 min from my house.

alexv

Quote from: pm on April 13, 2013, 12:28:50 PM
Well it looks like I will not be free until 3:30ish  :(

Might not be able to make this one... shame as it is only like 5 min from my house.

I'm sure we'll still be around at 3:30. Can't guarantee the food though :) but please come down if you can...

charlie

Big thank you to Alex & his family for hosting us, Your wife certainly put on a spread for us plant junkies, not to mention the cold ones i saw enjoying :P
Thanks to all who made it out, i had a fantastic time, great people, great hobby= fun day  :)
Errol

exv152

+1 to what Errol said. Thanks to Alex and his wife for their generous hospitality. Nice to see so many folks show up, nice to see this niche in the aquarium hobby continue to grow. Too bad we don't do this more often.
;D
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

daworldisblack

+1 to whats already been mentioned. Always a good time.. we were there at 2 and by the time we left it was closer to 7  ::) Funny how time flies when you're having fun eh? :) Great to see all the folks old and new! We'll have to do this again most definitely! Thanks again to Alex for hosting us and his wife for the delicious food! He has a crazy set up for a freshwater tank and it was eye opening!

alexv

Thanks everyone for coming. It was a fun event. You did disappoint me a bit in your (lack of) ability to consume the food though. So now I have to put on some extra weight myself :)

To answer the question I've been asked by some people. The dosing pump I'm using is made by Marine Magic from Hong Kong. I bought it off of their eBay store: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marine-Magic-aquarium-dosing-pump-Triple-/281090947353

A couple days ago I bought a second unit so I can dose Flourish Iron separate from CSM+B and Flourish Excel from the rest of the macros.

sylros

Thank you so much for sharing your home and the wonderful aquariums...not to mention the food. Just fabulous!

Shawn84

Thanks Alex for the host. My first time attending and i love it. The food was great i'll eat more next time ;)
A bunch a fishes.....
A bunch a tanks...........

cdylnicki

Wow beautiful tanks!  I'm sorry I missed this post until now!

lucius

Note to self.  Don't make plans for anything else next time.

Thanks alexv and company.  8)

exv152

Quote from: lucius on April 14, 2013, 12:55:24 AM
Note to self.  Don't make plans for anything else next time.

Thanks alexv and company.  8)

Hope we convinced you to try live plants over plastic.
;)
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

wolfiewill

Quote from: exv152 on April 13, 2013, 08:11:45 PM
Nice to see so many folks show up, nice to see this niche in the aquarium hobby continue to grow. Too bad we don't do this more often.

I, too, would like thank Alex and family for their wonderful hospitality. The food was great, conversation stimulating, and lots of laughs. Great people that I can't seem to get enough of. And yes we must keep this going. We now need someone to volunteer to host the next one. And from experience, hosting is a lot more of a thrill than a chore.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

pworthing

Thanks to all of you who make me feel more normal.   Some of the things I think about changing inside the house (tank here, tank there) don't seem so crazy anymore :)

Thanks for the eye opener.   I knew it was past time for a water change.   A lot of fish in there and I will try to do better.   30% last night.

Had a great time!    Learned a lot but still not enough.   Will try to find time to do some reading and dig out the test kits.   Any links to the best starter plant articles are greatly appreciated.   
Also, I am going to look a buying some of the large bottles of flourish/excel from angelfins if any more people are interested?  Thanks Alex

If I can get a tank that looks half as good as Alex's tank looks, then I'll be happy to have you over.  Although, I guess I can offer a barbecue/swim once the better weather is here.   Alex, your son is the same age as mine, so that might work out well?  I'm afraid the rest of you will have to put up with kids on a trampoline.

Would also love to try some shrimp in my tank if any of you want to sell some or know the best place to get them  reasonably.   
125G - Mixed Africans