Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Plantaholics Anonymous Part |||

Started by daworldisblack, May 31, 2012, 12:50:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pworthing

Errol,
I see your beginner links forum now.  Thanks for all that.  (Helpful planted aquarium reference links)
EI was what I was looking for as a starter, since I heard it so many times yesterday.

wolfiewill, you mentioned the petal one yesterday with the graphs?
125G - Mixed Africans

wolfiewill

"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

charlie

Quote from: pworthing on April 14, 2013, 10:51:07 AM
Errol,
I see your beginner links forum now.  Thanks for all that.  (Helpful planted aquarium reference links)
EI was what I was looking for as a starter, since I heard it so many times yesterday.

Nice to see the gathering has inspired some   ;)
I`m really worried for those that got a fix yesterday is already wanting another fix already  :P

sylros

Quote from: pworthing on April 14, 2013, 10:51:07 AM
Errol,

LoL, I might have sent this to the wrong user...here is what I sent:
Here is what Errol had given me early on in my venture into planted tanks. I'm dosing per my tank size, I happen to have all of these ingredients...yes it cost me but I still have some after 1.5yrs...mind you I haven't been dosing every week either.

http://www.seachem.com/support/PlantDoseChart.pdf
Note , Errol suggests skip the Flourish trace & use Flourish comprehensive , also don`t worry with the Flourish iron - the comprehensive will cover the iron.
you don`t need the day 7 products either except for the Prime water treatment or whatever water treatment you are using now...If you do a water change....I'm so low in nutrients that I don't, but I try to do a water change every 3 weeks. This is in a tank that doesn't have CO2.

i will be doing more tests as I've added some phosphates to my tanks. Now I'm curious to see where everything else stands. Who's go info on dry fertz dosing...I'll share what I have found in a different thread but was curious if you had the same info. Found a calculator...

wolfiewill

Quote from: sylros on April 14, 2013, 12:53:51 PM
Now I'm curious to see where everything else stands. Who's go info on dry fertz dosing...I'll share what I have found in a different thread but was curious if you had the same info. Found a calculator...

Here's one I use quite often:   http://www.rexgrigg.com/

As for Rex's actual ingredients, I use the KNO3 and KH2PO4 as he suggests (from B&B hydroponics at the corner of Woodward and Courtland here in Ottawa), Seachem Equilibrium for potassium, and Seachem Flourish Comprehensive for iron and micros, and if you use Exel, Metricide is a much more economical source for liquid carbon.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

charlie

Quote from: sylros on April 14, 2013, 12:53:51 PM
LoL, I might have sent this to the wrong user...here is what I sent:
Here is what Errol had given me early on in my venture into planted tanks. I'm dosing per my tank size, I happen to have all of these ingredients...yes it cost me but I still have some after 1.5yrs...mind you I haven't been dosing every week either.

http://www.seachem.com/support/PlantDoseChart.pdf
Note , Errol suggests skip the Flourish trace & use Flourish comprehensive , also don`t worry with the Flourish iron - the comprehensive will cover the iron.
you don`t need the day 7 products either except for the Prime water treatment or whatever water treatment you are using now...If you do a water change....I'm so low in nutrients that I don't, but I try to do a water change every 3 weeks. This is in a tank that doesn't have CO2.

i will be doing more tests as I've added some phosphates to my tanks. Now I'm curious to see where everything else stands. Who's go info on dry fertz dosing...I'll share what I have found in a different thread but was curious if you had the same info. Found a calculator...
The seachem chart is pretty good, if you are dosing a small tank, it can get expensive for larger tanks & multiple tanks. in which case the EI system works great for growing plants & uses the dry salts from Hydroponics stores.
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/2819-EI-light-for-those-less-techy-folks
Regards

Dxpert

Thanks everyone for the great info on Saturday and in this thread.

Alex a huge thanks for hosting and all of the food/drink! What a setup!

Sylvie - you sent the PM to me, I was the right guy to send it to - Peter and I are both on the same learning curve.

I've found that CEG4048 on www.ukaps.org has some great info!

lucius

alexv

By the way, I gave my tank a good trim and I have tons of cuttings. Especially Ludwigia sp. 'Rubin' and Ammannia gracilis. I have a few dozen stems of ludwigia and several large stems of ammannia. Free to whoever needs them. This weekend only, after this, they go in garbage :)
220g FW Community planted: SAE (5), Puntius denisonii (4), clown loach (2), Yoyo loach (3), kuhli loach (3), otocinclus affinis (2), rummynose tetra (3), harlequin rasbora (17), rope fish (1), glass catfish (3), bamboo shrimp (2), upside-down catfish (2), Chinese algae eater (2), rubber-lipped pleco (2), cherry shrimp (many)

55g FW Community planted: Black ghost knifefish (2), Armored bichir (2), banjo catfish (2),  Rosy tetra (2)

Dxpert

Hi Alex, that would be awesome. PM me with a good time to swing over today.

-Mike

alexv

Quote from: Dxpert on April 20, 2013, 04:32:16 PM
Hi Alex, that would be awesome. PM me with a good time to swing over today.

-Mike

PM sent :)
220g FW Community planted: SAE (5), Puntius denisonii (4), clown loach (2), Yoyo loach (3), kuhli loach (3), otocinclus affinis (2), rummynose tetra (3), harlequin rasbora (17), rope fish (1), glass catfish (3), bamboo shrimp (2), upside-down catfish (2), Chinese algae eater (2), rubber-lipped pleco (2), cherry shrimp (many)

55g FW Community planted: Black ghost knifefish (2), Armored bichir (2), banjo catfish (2),  Rosy tetra (2)

alexv

So, it's been a month... And? (hint-hint)...

:)

wolfiewill

Quote from: alexv on May 13, 2013, 09:53:50 PM
So, it's been a month... And? (hint-hint)...:)

I'm ready too! But I'm not around much in the summer so couldn't host. But would make time for another gathering.

sylros

I haven`t host one of these in a while and I now have 3 tanks...hmmm 4 if you count the original which is now not doing extremely well. But it would show the difference between CO2 and none. Personally I was amazed at the difference!

So, I am available pretty much anytime - I think we wanted to stick with a weekend time right? Last weekend in May?

exv152

I'm in. Saturday works for me.  :)
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Dxpert

I'm in also, Sunday works better than Saturday for me.

daworldisblack

Argh! Looks like I am going to miss this one! Not back till the 1st!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

sylros

Hey everyone, sorry to back out but I need to push it to later in June. I just got invited for a competition test on Monday. So I need to prepare for this.

Can be the first weekend in June....let me know which day is best.

exv152

As long as it's during the afternoon or day, any weekend will do for me.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

alexv

Quote from: exv152 on May 22, 2013, 12:32:30 PM
As long as it's during the afternoon or day, any weekend will do for me.

On July 1st I have a wedding to photograph, but I'm available on June 8-9, 16, 22.