Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Build me a Stand?

Started by shaheed, June 19, 2012, 08:37:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaheed

Need a stand for my 40B asap -- can't justify paying bigals prices their stands...  Was wondering if anyone is capable and willing to build me a stand?  PM me for details/price/cost -- thank you !

bt

FYI - Our home built stand, with some scavenged materials (including the frame), STILL cost about as much as a stand from Big Al's.  We ended up with something much, much nicer - but we didn't save any money.

jon1985

Same with me. I get all my materials for wholesale price and by the time I am finished my stands they are usually as much as the big als stands. That said they are WAY nicer stands, more like furniture.   I currently have. 65tall (same foot print as. 45B) and it cost about $40 to build plus 3 hours and that it still isn't skinned.  I can make you a stand, pm me and we can talk about details.

yellowtang

I am presently building a stand for my
30x30x26 cube tank and so far on cedar wood
I have spent about $45.00. this is just the frame of
The stand...screws, brackets and sandpaper add
Another $35.00... Stain and enclosing the stand would
Be another $50.00.. However since I am not
A carpenter my stand will certainly not look like a
Store bought one but a DYI stand...
The well known LFS has a wooden stand for
My tank, but at $400.00+ I just can't afford it
just my ..2 cents
120g REEF Upgrading to a 180g soon
38G REEF

BigX

OP, I may have what you need.
Please check PM.

Thanks!

shaheed

Was looking for a stand built like a bigals stand...not way better lol, I'll MSG those that have expressed interest, thanks for the prompt replies!

Thunda

When we first set up our 1st 30g tank we ended up watching kijiji and getting a china cabinet that someone was giving away.  The cabinet came in two piece and the bottom piece made for a perfect stand for our tank for almost two years before upgrading to a new tank.  Just a thought for you to consider... lots of options out there if one things outside the box a little :)

Hookup

word of warning... watch out for people without actual experience making tank stands... i'm talking professional capenters who think they can make a stand because they can make a cabinet...  for smaller tanks, this may not be an issue... but i've seen a few very nice looking stands made custom for people that after a few months no longer worked... bad access to the tank for maintainable, doors no longer aligning due to warping wood...

loads of people here can put together really nice 2x4 type stands and even skin them out... there are dozens of people that have done so and posted photos... 

buyer be ware.

Greatwhite

I just don't "understand" stands... Store bough stands don't LOOK like they will hold a full 90G tank, compared to stands I've built.  I use 2x4s, glued & screwed together into 4x4 for extra strength.  I have angle braces and cross supports to distribute the load evenly........  and then I skin with 3/4" ply.

Then you go look at store bought stands made of 1x4 pine.  I have a hard time trusting them.

My stand probably weighs 200lbs, or more...  I built it the way I did because 90G of water weighs 751lbs, plus the weight of the tank itself.  It seems to me that it would require a decent stand to hold that weight, no??

jon1985

yea, my stands are always WAY over built.  I would rather spend an extra $50 on material and the extra time to ensure my tank doesnt end up on the floor.

brandon

I can vouch for Jon's stands.  In the spring I ended up buying his 120g system and he did a great job on it.  It's finished like furniture and definitely as overbuilt as he says. 

werdna

Hi , I am wondering if Jon would be able to build me a stand & canopy , I cannot as I am labled disabled . I want a black wooden stand & canopy for my 210 gallon 72 by 24 inches . Please pm me if there is a chance.Thanks Very Much Drew !!!

shaheed

thanks everyone for your responses and guidance -- will keep all of that in mind.  I have a few options now thanks to you all.  Hoping to start a tank thread sometime next week!

bitterman

Building a stand strong enough is tricky. For a home built stand you really need to overbuild as we are not an expert on designs.

Quarter sawn lumber is a good choice for tank stand building as is micro lamb beams neither are cheap. I used lumber for the below stands, but I picked through to get pieces with the correct grain to get suitability.

This is a picture of tha tank stand I built for my sons SW tank.

This is the stand for my 180

shaheed