Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

DIY co2 reactor

Started by pm, July 27, 2012, 09:36:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pm

Hi all,

I have just started looking around for parts to build a co2 reactor (not sure yet if it will be a Rex Grigg or Cerge style, or even if I will start this project), but am having difficulty locating a few key items or those items at reasonable prices.

Can anyone provide any input on where to buy elbows (I don't know the correct term, but it would be threaded on one end and a form of barb on the other) for 5/8" hose?  I can easily find 1/2", but 5/8" seems rare  >:(

For a Cerge reactor, anyone know where you can pickup a cheap RO or sediment filter housing?  The cheapest I have found is almost $30.  On the forums people in the states can get them for like $10-15.

Any help is appreciated.

exv152

Quote from: pm on July 27, 2012, 09:36:40 AM
Can anyone provide any input on where to buy elbows (I don't know the correct term, but it would be threaded on one end and a form of barb on the other) for 5/8" hose?  I can easily find 1/2", but 5/8" seems rare  >:(

For a Cerge reactor, anyone know where you can pickup a cheap RO or sediment filter housing?  The cheapest I have found is almost $30.  On the forums people in the states can get them for like $10-15.

I've been contemplating building my own too, and I haven't decided if I should just buy one or make one. I found this on ebay which is the same one sold at AI, the biggest unit is $13 with free shipping http://www.ebay.com/itm/Multi-Aquarium-UP-CO2-Diffuser-Reactor-S-M-L-/160851517126?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D906337760455679223%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D2%26. Still undecided. Have you tried Ottawa fasteners for the rex style reactor parts? They have pretty good prices.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

ben_jamin

im sure that ebay unit would work fine it however must be placed in the aquarium as it doesnt have seals in any of its 6 odd joints. maybe that works for you though i have smaller tanks and try to keep as much equipment out of the tank as possible. i made my own reactor that also includes a port for my heater it was cheap and took me an hour or so to put together  gathering all the parts took longer  and thinking it up took even longer lol  luckily ive done that part already  the design has worked great for me and it has all the features i think are required without being too extravagant, complicated or expensive. some designs ive seen include bioballs or some other media to help further dissolve the c02. i dont feel these are necessary because if the reactor is working properly and is a good size for your filter the c02 will all dissolve at the top of the reactor and never try to make its way out undissolved. i have mine hooked up behind my marineland c-360 which is supposed to do 360 gph and it works great i never see c02 bubbles getting through and im injecting around 4-5 bps. i dont know this for sure but having the heater inline seeing all that flow should make it more efficient. this reactor and any other will slow the flow in your filter loop to some degree.   i drew it up and explained it quickly so if you have any other questions let me know.

pm

Now that looks interesting... I will definitely look into this.  I really like that you integrated a heater.

Thanks for the info

exv152

Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g