Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Where can/should I dispose of large waste/junk in Ottawa?

Started by Cheebs, August 06, 2012, 09:53:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheebs

Howdy guys,

I've been doing some house cleaning and I have a fair amount of junk piled up in the garage that I need to get rid of, and it's too big for the curb. A few examples: an old broken weight bench with pulleys and arms, a GIANT old TV, and lots of other largish items.

I'm having difficulty finding pricing and locations where I can dump this stuff. Is that my best option, or should I call the junk guys (with what I have, the cost would be around $200 for a pickup). OR, should I split it up, even though it's inconvenient, and bring the tv to an electronics recycler, weight benches to a metal scrapper, etc.

Any advice is appreciated!

elk

JetJumper

if your on a busy street put it on the curb and I am sure half of it would disappear.
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Feivel

Bring it to a ghetto garbage dump lol. Like navaho. They have the at the mutual corner huge pileup pickups.

NjOyRiD

Quote from: JetJumper on August 06, 2012, 10:09:10 PM
if your on a busy street put it on the curb and I am sure half of it would disappear.

+1, it always work
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

Brine

wandmangels

exv152

Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

lucius

Future Shop and Best Buy will take your old electronics for free.  You just have to bring it there.

bt

Quote from: lucius on August 07, 2012, 08:44:38 AM
Future Shop and Best Buy will take your old electronics for free.  You just have to bring it there.

They'll take most, but not all.  They won't take a tube TV that is over 27", for example.

bt

A lot of that stuff can safely go to the curb.  I'd take the TV somewhere (if it's GIANT, your options may be limited) as well as any "hazardous waste", but that's it.

Cheebs

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I'll bring the TV somewhere, and put stuff out on the curb. I suppose the worst thing that can happen is them not taking it, in which case I'll try the other options.

Cheers!

Severum

In Kanata there is an E dumpster at the Hazeldean mall. I dropped off a pretty big TV there last week. Didn't read the fine print to see about any limitations.

That dumpster was overflowing with old electronics. It was like taking a trip down memory lane.
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

bt

Cheebs

Thanks guys. It seems like with those limitaitons, some of the bulky stuff I have may just get picked up at the curb afterall. As long as I don't get cranky garbage guys I guess. I've had instances where a bag broke in the can or from a raccoon overnight and they spilled garbage all over the place and didn't pick it up, or if something was in the recycling that shouldn't have been there they just tossed it on the lawn. I won't complain, they are already picking up garbage and I'm sure it gets frustrating. But hey, it's worth a try!

Greatwhite

Anything that is mostly metal will not make it through the night at the curb. There are people who drive around picking up metal garbage to bring to a recycle shop for money. I disposed of a rusted out Loblaws BBQ this way. :) just be sure to have it out early!

Big tv...  Well...  Someone may pick it up hoping it works?  Then it is their problem! 

Failing that, I am moving and new people won't be here until september...  Toss it in my yard! :)

Greatwhite

Oh, electronics like big TVs can be disposed of in one of the regular electronics depots around town. There used to be one behind a computer shop in Orleans. Not sure if they still do it...

My wife found where to bring "household waste" like that on the city o Ottawa website.

Hookup

best place to get rid of your electronics and anything metal is at foxyrecycle.ca  They are on Baseline between Greenbank and the 416, south side.

Cheebs

I'll definitely be recycling the TV, awesome suggestions. You guys were right, The metal stuff didn't even last the night, and the garbage truck should take care of the rest. Thanks everyone!

Rybren

If no one takes what is left on the curb, stick a For Sale sign on it.  You'd be amazed at how quickly some people will then steal it.
120G Reef