Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Well water people: do I need a booster pump ?

Started by magnosis, August 08, 2012, 02:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magnosis

Does anyone with a well & pressure tank use an RO/DI unit *without* a booster pump ? Does that work well ? Did you adjust (rise) the low/hi mark on the pressure switch (for your well pump) ?

My pressure switch is set such that the well pump starts at 35 psi and stops at 70 psi.

Do I need a booster pump for it - or can I simply / safely adjust the pressure switch (for the well pump) such that the pump start at - say - 59 psi and stop at 80 psi ? 

The pressure tank is rated at max 100psi, but I am not sure about the rest of the house plumbing (a mix of pex & cup plumping, some ball valves, a softener, water heater, etc).

bt

I can't properly answer your question, but a booster pump for a RO unit might be cheaper in the long run than upping the pressure settings on your well pump.

magnosis

Good point, I hadn't considered the running cost.

ray

Hi According to my supplier their membranes when rated are tested at approx 70 degree F and 60PSI

Ray

bitterman

I use one at my house. I had to raise my pressure slightly as below a specific pressure I got no output. A booster pump will for sure help increase output and also increase efficiency.

Bruce