Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Newbie looking at getting a used setup

Started by SWFan, August 08, 2012, 07:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bt

Quote from: SWFan on August 09, 2012, 09:57:45 AM
The question was wether it made sense to go with the used setup that I am currently looking at.

I'm personally not a fan of buying a complete used set-up.  It certainly can work, but I think in most cases you're:

(A) making compromises on what you actually want, or
(B) inheriting someone else's problems, or
(C) all of the above

(A) is, in my opinion, mostly about livestock.  With only a pair of clowns (which you've said you want anyways) and a frogspawn, you're probably fine on that front.

(B) is more of a concern.  It can be bad equipment choices (I don't think I've ever heard a good thing said about a Coralife Super Skimmer), or it can be bad husbandry.

With bad equipment choices, you're going to need to do some replacing.  But if the price is right, it can still be a good deal.  When buying a used light (other than LED), assume the bulbs will need to be replaced soon and account for that cost.  For set-ups with a sump, how the plumbing is configured can also be an issue.  There are plenty of different ways to plumb a tank and they're often just a matter of preference, so make sure it's done in a way that you will be happy with.

So make sure the equipment set-up is something you like.  Doesn't have to be perfect, but it does have to be free of issues that would drive you nuts.

Bad husbandry is the biggest concern, I think.  Some of the problems that can cause can only be solved by doing a complete tear-down and rebuild.  You really don't want to have to deal with someone else's persistent nuisance algae, the live rock leeching out phosphates, etc.  So absolutely make sure the tank is kept in good condition before you consider buying it.  If they're having problems with the set-up, don't assume you can fix them.

But in the end, buying used can be great value.  You just need to be careful to make sure you're not paying for something you don't want.  Making big changes to a full system can drive down that value, and drive up your stress levels!

Most of my system is used, but it was built piecemeal from a few different sellers.  IMO, it's the best way to go.  But if you've lucked in to a full setup that pretty much matches what you want, and it's in good condition, and the price is right - I say go for it.

Though for that specific set up, I'd seriously consider going to a 75 or 90 gallon - or bigger if you can do so reasonably.  The difference from the 55 in dimensions is that they stick out from the wall a bit more, and the 90 is a bit taller.  But it makes a bigger difference in water volume and swim space.

SWFan

Thanks bt!
It looks like everyone is in agreement that the super skimmer is not great.  I think the piecemeal makes sense, but I am not sure if I have the patience to put everything together from scratch, rather than finding something close enough and just modify the 1 or 2 parts that need upgrading.  That being said, I think I am more comfortable with the latter.

Darth

Quote from: SWFan on August 09, 2012, 12:50:16 PM
Thanks bt!
It looks like everyone is in agreement that the super skimmer is not great.  I think the piecemeal makes sense, but I am not sure if I have the patience to put everything together from scratch, rather than finding something close enough and just modify the 1 or 2 parts that need upgrading.  That being said, I think I am more comfortable with the latter.

in this hobby you will need to learn patience, or its gonna be a short lived hobby  ;D

JetJumper

.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Philnashbass

I've been in this hobby for about a decade and I've purchased several "kit" used marine aquarium packages and have been very successful and happy with the result. It's more of an issue of having a good eye and timing for the used items that are up for sale. Be informed of competitive used pricing by watching the used websites and be informed by reading reviews of the various equipment components out there.
I strongly recommend used aquarium purchases, and the parting out method usually ends up costing you a lot more in the long run.
My two cents...
50 gal. CADLights cube with 15 gal. CADlights sump:
CADLights PLS 100 skimmer
AI Vega LED with controller
Ocellaris pair in LTA, Sml. Hippo Tang,  Powder Brown Tang, Favia, Gorgonia, Frog Spawn, Rhodactis, Sun Coral, Open Brain, Colt Coral, Plate Coral

220 gal. with 80 gal. sump:
Vortex IN 280 skimmer
8 Bulb Teklight T5's, Reefbrite actinic
Pair Gold Bar Maroon Clowns (extra lrg. female), Hippo Tang, Lrg. Pink Tail Trigger, Blue Face Angel,  Kole Tang, Humu Humu Trigger,  2 Yellow Tangs...3 RBTA's, Hammer Coral, Torch Coral, Frog Spawn, Leather Coral

ihavecrabs

This is just my opinion.  To me, spending  $5,000-$15,000 on a perfect system when you are first getting into this hobby, doesn't make sense.  The setup you are looking at will help you get your feet wet.  You will make many mistakes, but that's part of the hobby.  I think that the system you are looking at will be fine for your needs.   You will be able to house softie corals, perhaps some lps corals, and fish.  The tang issue was answered by others.  Buy used if possible, this will save you lots of money.  Just do your homework first before buying.   Quality makes a big difference in this hobby.   T5 lighting can grow any coral, including sps.  Find out how old the lights are.  T5 bulbs should be changed every 8 months.  At 25-35 bucks a bulb it makes a difference.  The skimmer was dealt with by others already.  The bigger the system, the easier to maintain parameters.  

Let us know the asking price of this system is.  Fellow hobbyist will let you know if it's a bad deal.  Pictures help too.  

Once you bought and have had a running system, you will find issues with the setup.  However, this will help you make better decisions in the future if you decide to upgrade or start a brand new system.  You will find what works and doesn't work for you.  You will deal with algae, water issues, flow, heating, the list goes on and on.  It's a big learning curve.  You will deal with these issues whether you have a new or used system.  Join different forums, and do tons of reading.  Just about any question or problem you will have, has happened to someone else.   Good luck and enjoy.  Don't get discouraged.  

ihavecrabs

Oh, and reefers are rather passionant about this hobby.  So, if we get side tracked, discussing an issue, don't take it personally.  There are many ways to have a successful system. 

reefdava16

Quote from: Hookup on August 09, 2012, 10:02:07 AM
I don't think I said it wasn't possible.  I said when LEDs were released the quality was not growing SPS consistently and the debate rages on still.

You said that T5's are not that good for SPS.  I simply was pointing out that I believe they are an excellent and well proven technology that provide a very wide range of color options for growing and coloring SPS.

I agree with Az, that T5 are one of the best for SPS.  IMHO MH+T5 are THE best and if I had money, I'd add LED for color.  But that's just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

Exactly, Well said Hookup.

SWFan

Thanks ihavecrabs.  :)
So Tang is out, ive done some research and there other fish that can work with a 55Gal like the Bangai Cardinal.  This doesnt mean I have made up my mind, but just a data point.
Note taken in regards T5.
Note taken in regards to Skimmer.  An aquaintance has recommended an Vertex 100 in sump for <90 Gal tanks. Any thoughts?

I have posted pics.  The selling price is $600 (ie. Asking was 800$)

bt

For a 55 + sump, a Vertex IN-100 should be pretty good.  The Vertex IN series was what I was going to get before I got a good deal on a Tunze.

ihavecrabs

I think it's a fair price for the setup.  But i would try for $500.  Maybe others will offer their opinion.  I'm not familiar with the Vertex skimmers. 

Hookup

Quote from: bt on August 10, 2012, 04:58:59 PM
For a 55 + sump, a Vertex IN-100 should be pretty good.  The Vertex IN series was what I was going to get before I got a good deal on a Tunze.

agree with the vertex... but note its second hand knowledge i'm quoting not first hand as I've never owned a vertex personally... but i do hear they are good.

redbelly

T5 is by far the best for maintaining sps growth and coloration imo.
And yes there can be a huge quality and resultsdifference depending on which T5 system you used, just as there can be for MH and LED.
Either way, this is not setup as an sps system.

The fixture on the system you are looking at appears to be a Current USA. Not a great fixture, but certainly very well suited for the current content of the tank and certainly not a bad light to start with.

The sump is a converted wet dry filter so its not really the best. You would be much better off having a local vedor build you a simple 2 chamber sump with space for filter socks for the overflows and the skimmer near where the overflow water enters the sump. I would basically write off the sump and get one built properly from the start.

Coralife skimmer.... enough said. But you could use it for the start and upgrade later.
The Vertex is a decent skimmer.

So if you break it down,
Used 55g tank $55
Stand $40
Light $100 assuming all bulbs should be replaced, which you shold always assme when purchasing used
Liverock - say $3 per lb, although the rock looks clean so this may be underpriced = $120
Circulation pumps - i assume there are a couple $30
return pump $30 - assuming its a super cheap pump
Livestock $200
Skimmer $40 - yeah shouldbe replaced, but would work for now.

And I am sure there i a pile of other stuff that comes with the tank as there normally is when someone is shutting a system down.
Test kits?
foods?
Refractometer?
etc?

These figures above are all pretty low balling figures and based on the assumption that the equipment is cheap components, which it may or may not be.

The rock looks clean and algae free, although its hard to tell from the small pic.

One of the biggest issues with buying used is you often inherit problems but not always and this tank looks petty clean.

IMO its not a bad deal at all at the price.

SWFan

Another quick question, since so many have referred to the bulbs might needing replacement.  How do you know when the bulbs need replacement? Is there a way to test?

Hookup

Quote from: SWFan on August 11, 2012, 04:22:42 AM
Another quick question, since so many have referred to the bulbs might needing replacement.  How do you know when the bulbs need replacement? Is there a way to test?

It's really hard to test... for SPS you just need to keep them in the prime output level and spectrum level.. so start with new and change every 8-10 months.

For other corals I think you can get a way with waiting until the ends show signs of going dark.

SWFan

Thanks to everyone that responded.  Just to provide everyone an update, I have found a great price on a 90Gallon with reef octopus skimmer, Tek lighting, and more livestock.  It is more expensive than the previous set, but based on your comments, and research, this looks like a much better setup.  Now for my next challenge...transporting the aquarium to my place.  I will start a different thread on that topic and start my research.

Thanks!

Hookup

congrats... 90gal.. nice size tank for sure...

bt

mmaisonneuve

Good move ! Congrats.

and with a reef octopus skimmer you can always find members with spare part to bail you out of trouble in case you have an issue.

90g Tank, 50g Sump. Super Reef Octopus 2000 skimmer , 1 Bio Beads reactor, 1 GFO Reactor, 1 Carbon Reactor, 2 Ecotech Radion XR30w, 3 Vortech MP10w ES,  Eheim 1260 Return Pump. AquaController Apex System. SPS Reef with Purple Tang, Yellow Tang, Dejardini Tang, Mated pair Madanrin, Clown, Purple Fire Fish, Bengali Cardinals, Coral Beauty. Tons and tons of Snail and Hermits

SWFan

So its been 5 weeks since I have got my setup, and just want to say its been a very entertaining hobby.  That being said, I think I have been out adding CUC, changing bulbs, buying refractometer, sand sifting starfish or doing something every week. 

Funny though I look forward for the weekend to go spend money and add something to the aquarium.  Never thought I would be excited to buy snails and crabs lol.

Just want to say thanks to everyone on this forum, especially those that answered this thread and Ray (has been a life saver).  I definitely would have not  been happy with a 55 gal, even with the 90 Gal, I am constantly looking at fish that would out grow the tank.  However, I do feel that 90 was a great size for someone getting into this hobby since there is definitely a significant learning curve and a cost factor.