Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Q: Electrical PVC and Vinyl tubing safe?

Started by SeahorseGuyetGal, August 11, 2012, 09:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeahorseGuyetGal

Hi all,

I want to quiet my overflow output into my sump by extending the current overflow pipe to the sump water level.  Currently is sounds like a waterfall because it is a good 6" above the waterline.  I went to a few plumbing places and then to Home Hardware, Rona and Cnd Tire.  I only found PVC pipe for electrical use in the electrical dept of Home Depot.  The guy told me it was "safe to drink from".  Can I use this?

Also, the return pump fits an Eheim 2017 tubing size.  Couldn't find any so I got transparent vinyl tubing from Home Depot.  Again, I was told this was safe to drink from.  Is it safe?

If not, are there any good PVC plumbing stores in the Ottawa-Gatineau region?

exv152

I was in Lowes Kanata about two weeks ago and they had the white pvc piping and fittings of varying sizes.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

SeahorseGuyetGal

Cool,

I'll head down there and check them out. 

Thanks for the tip but I still wonder about toxicity.

Vincenzo.

That transparent tubing is 100% safe. I use it on all my setups.

As for pvc fittings whats u need? I have a whhack of 3/4 pieces

SeahorseGuyetGal

Hi Vince,

Thanks :)  Glad to know that that tubing is good to go.  That will be used on the util pump. 

Thanks also for the piping offer.  However the setup is odd in that the PVC pipe running from the bottom of the tank to the sump is 2 inches in diameter, about 6 inches too short (lotsa noise the wife will not appreciate) and off from where I want the water to come into the sump.  I may have to use an elbow joint to divert the water flow off the baffle area of the sump and into the correct fill zone.  Actually, I may get a coupling and vinyl pool hose to really divert it properly. 

I'll upload a pic this eve and would be happy for any suggestions you may all have :)