Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

What type of shrimp do people keep here?

Started by bettabreeder, August 13, 2012, 08:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bettabreeder

Just curious as per what shrimp people have, breed and admire. I have cherries and crystal reds. And I know everyone loves pictures so here's my berries female crystal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stussi613

I've had cherry's in the past, now I have a Fluval Edge with crystal reds in it.
I haz reef tanks.

tophoo

tophoo

daworldisblack

I have red cherries, amanos and some crystal blacks. Looking for more Crystal Blacks though and some Yellow Shrimps!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

Stussi613

Quote from: daworldisblack on August 14, 2012, 01:20:36 PM
I have red cherries and some crystal blacks. Looking for more Crystal Blacks though and some Yellow Shrimps!

The guy I got my crystal reds from had 5 crystal blacks for sale a few weeks ago...he had an ad in the classifieds on here as well as kijiji.
I haz reef tanks.

Fishnut

Amanos and cherry's right now.  They're the easiest to keep.  I've had tiger shrimp, blue shrimp, bamboo shrimp...and one small purple speckled one that had claws...couldn't keep that one alive.

I want Sulawesi shrimp...maybe sometime later when I have more time to dedicate to keeping them.

daworldisblack

Quote from: Stussi613 on August 14, 2012, 01:22:38 PM
The guy I got my crystal reds from had 5 crystal blacks for sale a few weeks ago...he had an ad in the classifieds on here as well as kijiji.

Hmm.. i must've missed it or wasn't the grade I was looking for maybe. Thanks for the tip though :)

bettabreeder

Ill be on the hunt for crystal blacks soon too. Love the look of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pm

Quote from: Fishnut on August 14, 2012, 01:31:43 PM
Amanos and cherry's right now.  They're the easiest to keep... I want Sulawesi shrimp...maybe sometime later when I have more time to dedicate to keeping them.

Same here on both accounts.  Amanos and cherries are doing just fine with fish in my larger planted tank, but would love to get some Sulawesi shrimp... they look as colourful as saltwater shrimp.  :)

Stussi613

Has anyone ever seen Sulawesi for sale in Ottawa? 
I haz reef tanks.

pm

Not me.  I have only seen them in Toronto, and via online ordering (I haven't been to Montreal in some time, so not sure what they have there).

exv152

I haven't seen them either, and I have cherries and amano in my setup.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

WTS

CRS & CBS x 150 (about)
Black king kong xTWO
Bee shrimp x n :)

Fishnut

I would love some Sulawesi shrimp.  I have a few of the Sulawesi snails...elephant snails...so I have the perfect set-up for them already.  Menagerie in Toronto was supposed to get them in a long time ago but I'm not too sure of they did.

I have no time for obsessing about new shrimp though :(

blueknight0303

i have sunkist shrimps hoping that they will breed... and my black bees just vanished when i transferred them to my Crystal shrimp tank :( also have Rilis and amanos. trying to figure out how to make the damn amano naupliis survive for a week....

sulawesi are so cool but expensive -_-

dpatte

I've wondered about keeping shrimp. Are they safe in an amazon-like tank?
1 210g Asian Community planted fast water tank: balas, tiger & black ruby barbs, red-tail black shark, rainbows, loaches, SAEs, gold CAEs, 1500GPH river flow, plus 1500gph filtration.
1 75g African planted tank: 3 synos (had them since the 90s), yellow labs, kribensis.
1 40g breeder, silicone-divided into two - quarantine and nursery.

daworldisblack

Yeah sulawesis are expensive and also looks to be very picky regarding water conditions.. so def needs some attention there but man they look awesome!

Fishnut

dpatte, shrimp don't like warm temps...except the sulawesi shrimp.  If the temp is over 75, they don't do as well and don't live as long.  As far as other water conditions, they don't seem to like super hard water and a very high PH.  They're very "middle of the road" in that respect.

Amano shrimp are a great starter shrimp.  Cherry shrimp are easy to keep too.

dpatte

Thanks. My tanks are always 25C and lower pH. but I suspect the shrimp might get eaten.
1 210g Asian Community planted fast water tank: balas, tiger & black ruby barbs, red-tail black shark, rainbows, loaches, SAEs, gold CAEs, 1500GPH river flow, plus 1500gph filtration.
1 75g African planted tank: 3 synos (had them since the 90s), yellow labs, kribensis.
1 40g breeder, silicone-divided into two - quarantine and nursery.