Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Oh bugger

Started by fishycanuck, September 06, 2012, 06:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishycanuck

>:(
For the first time in 9 years of fish-keeping, I forgot to put dechlorinator in a tank. Fortunately it was the little tank and not my big discus one.
Still, I managed to kill a half dozen guppies and a nice batch of cherry shrimp. I feel like a bad parent.
I took the opportunity to clean it up well, and have started a fishless cycle. I'll be looking to buy some new shrimp and a pleco when it's done. Hello, Jetstream?

Dakotamay

Sorry to hear of your loss. It happens. No matter how careful we are. There's something that we slip up on. You're not a bad fish parent. It happens.

exv152

Do you age your water separately before adding it to the tanks?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

fishycanuck

Nope - for all these years I've been using a python without incident. I add the dechlorinator when I start to refill the tank. Just this once.....

Fishnut

I did that once while working with my koi...$150 each and I almost killed them because I forgot the dechlorinator before filling.

:-\

DrRockso

Quote from: fishycanuck on September 06, 2012, 06:58:36 PM
I feel like a bad parent.

I spent 50$ on sushi yesterday. The fishes watched us eating delightfully their cousins. I feel like a bad parent too...

But seriously, I agree with Dakotamay, even if we watch 24h a day every single aspect of our aquariums, something "bad-ish" will eventually happen. We're only humans, after all!

fishycanuck

After that minor massacre, I cleaned out the tank and started it up again. I plunked in a nice juicy sponge from the 65G to help  move the cycle along. It's been just over a week, so I checked the parameters and find low levels of ammonia, no nitrAtes or nitrItes. This is the first time I have checked it so not sure if the ammonia has spiked or not. There is a snail or two lurking in the tank that somehow survived the cleaning (or maybe rode in on the sponge)
Ideas?
Suggestions?
Bueller?