Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Light Config

Started by Kramrm, September 09, 2012, 04:15:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kramrm

What do you guys think would be the best light configuration for a 6 bulb t5 lighting

Feivel

I would try 2 actinics, one aquablue, one aquapink and two whites.    For me the actinics are reefbrights. I have a 4 bulb. I like the blue and pink together (not quite the same as actinics)

My opinion :-)

Hookup

Aqua blue special
Actinic
Aqua blue special
Fiji purple
Actinic
Aqua blue special

on a healthy LPS system, IMO this will POP POP POP the colors

Feivel

i agree with the color popping but i would put onw white in the middle :) try to keep a wide and broad color spectrum by having multiple colors. i dont understand much about the lights and how they work or what they do but the blue lights will help to color the coral, the pinks will pop out the reds and the actinics give you the glow. blue and actinic are similar only actinic is more of a blacklight. then the white pure light. the 10k 14k 21k or whetever they are is the temperature they "burn" at and they whiteness of the light emitted at that temperature. i know a 10k metal halide will grow corals faster but will not look good visualy and may kill some corals if introduced to fast or not aclimated properly to the new lights. even on a bulb change. but thats metal halide. different ball game.
giesman or ati bulbs for T5 is what you should go for. dont cheapout on brand names and remember tochange the bulbs every year.

ray

FYI, the ATI Aquablue Special are a 14K bulb which is white w/ a hint of blue

Ray

Hookup

Ive seen a few outstanding reef tanks (LPS mainly) and they run a 50/50 split of actinic and Aquablue special lights... I threw in the fiji-purple suggestion as its what I would try myself.

IMO your red/pink fish will look very dull and boring in this type of light setup... but the corals will look awesome.

Feivel

+1

You can put the aquapink and white together :-)    does a 6 bulb have 3 switches? Or 3 lights per switch?

Greatwhite

2 switches.  The other 2 bulbs are on one switch, and inner 4 on the other.

Feivel

Really? So one switch for 2 and the other for 4? If so i would put the actinics on the 2 and put the other 4 (i would go 2 white one pink one blue) time the light so the actinics come on lets say an hour before the mains and to turn off an hour or two after while you watch you favorite tv show. The actinics are the wow lights for t5 you will enjoy those.... Then you have reefbrights :-)  that makes a world of difference lol.

Greatwhite

Quote from: Feivel on September 12, 2012, 02:36:50 PM
Really? So one switch for 2 and the other for 4? If so i would put the actinics on the 2 and put the other 4 (i would go 2 white one pink one blue) time the light so the actinics come on lets say an hour before the mains and to turn off an hour or two after while you watch you favorite tv show. The actinics are the wow lights for t5 you will enjoy those.... Then you have reefbrights :-)  that makes a world of difference lol.

Yeah.. I have a pure actinic and an actinic blue on my ends.. Then the other 4 are Blue+ and purple (Blue + is... white..)  I used to have a mid day bulb in mine, but didn't like the yellow tint from it.