Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

My CRS babies are berried!!!

Started by bettabreeder, September 09, 2012, 02:11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bettabreeder

So a while ago I bought some beautiful CRS from a member here. I had a brutal ammonia spike that killed 3 of the five. After establishing a pure shrimp tank (removing my celestial pearl danios) they bounced back spectacularly. At the beginning of the summer the female berried and I had about twenty five shrimp raised to juvie stage before selling most of them. Well checking on my tank today two females from the first born batch of shrimp are now berried!!!! It's pretty exciting to see that provided the right conditions these shrimp mature and reproduce so quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charlie

daworldisblack

Very Nice! Hopefully mine do the same soon! Post your tank parameters?
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

bettabreeder

Quote from: charlie on September 09, 2012, 03:33:37 PM
Good stuff  ;)
thanks Errol!
Quote from: daworldisblack on September 09, 2012, 04:57:57 PM
Very Nice! Hopefully mine do the same soon! Post your tank parameters?
Hopefully Rah! I'm testing the parameters right now but my test kit is out of date and my parameters are always skewed a bit...
pH: 7.4
Nitrate: 10ppm
Ammonia: 0.25ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm

I'm running a very well established filter on my tank and do partial water changes once every two weeks and the reading of any ammonia is what leads me to believe that the kits is malfunctioning a bit. the kit said my tap water has 1.0ppm ammonia :S I'm going to get a master test kit on thursday to monitor Gh, Kh and other parameters.

bergenm

Quotethe kit said my tap water has 1.0ppm ammonia

City of Ottawa tap water will show ammonia - it is bound with chlorine to make chloramine.
Michael

bettabreeder

Quote from: bergenm on September 09, 2012, 07:00:10 PM
City of Ottawa tap water will show ammonia - it is bound with chlorine to make chloramine.
Oh, good to know, thank you. It is probably be a good idea to replace my test kit anyways as it is 3 years old or so.

Stussi613

I've been treating with prime and aging water in a 2 gal Tupperware container with Fluval shrimp stratum in it to combat the chloramine in the city water supply, my CRS seem happier when I do my partial water changes with that water instead of tap water.

Now if I could just find some more shrimp...
I haz reef tanks.

bettabreeder

Quote from: Stussi613 on September 09, 2012, 11:29:57 PM
I've been treating with prime and aging water in a 2 gal Tupperware container with Fluval shrimp stratum in it to combat the chloramine in the city water supply, my CRS seem happier when I do my partial water changes with that water instead of tap water.

Now if I could just find some more shrimp...
I'm thinking about setting up a 5g aging bucket. I always treat my water with aquaplus. I'll see if that helps them but apparently they are happy enough in the water right now. And I have some juvies almost ready to go. The gf is buying me a membership for my bday so I'll post them on the classifieds when they are ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk