Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

media reactor suggestions?

Started by rgauvin, September 10, 2012, 10:07:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rgauvin

I'm looking at going the biopellet route (sump isn't great for chaeto) and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions, feedback, experience, etc they might want to pass along to a S/W newb. It seems that a recirculating bioreactor woudl be best, but you can convert any media/biopellet reactor to that so I am not concerned about buying one that recirculates the water stock.

My aquarium is smallish at 50 gallons so I don't need anything impressive or huge. Does anyone have any feedback or suggestions for me?

Djokher

TLF Phosban 150 with a Cobalt Aquatic 1200 or an Italian Made Maxi-Jet 1200 (hard to find) the regular MJ-1200 are way to noisy. I run 3 of those (Bio-Pellets/Carbon/GFO) on my 120 Gallon setup

Djokher

www.aquariumsupplies.ca (Ovas Sponsor) used to carry the Italian Made MJ.

rgauvin

any real advantage to the TLF? in looking at so many online, the only thing that I really notice changing from one model to the other is chamber size, and the dispersion plate. I'm assuming build quality changes, but you can't really see that in pictures.

Djokher

TLF reactors have one main advantage. They are affordable and perfect for system under 150 gal. You can find them for around 40$ (ebay) or a little more at your LFS. Very versatile and parts for them are everywhere.

rgauvin

Cool thanks. Part of me feels like trying to plumb it off my return so I could drop the flow very low if I wanted  regardless of the pump in use. Can you think of any real reason not to do that?

Cbellehumeur

i use a TLF too and love it! I use a normal maxijet 1200 and it's not noisy at all.

Feivel

I have a reef octopus br70 reactor with reef ovtopus bio pellets paid a lot more than the tlf is worth for it. And the media was expensive too. Cost me 180$ i think and still no pump. Had a maxi 1200 kicking around.  Essentially as longas the pellets smash together your good. You dont want them to sit or get stale or clump up.  Advantages of one brand over another? Meh.   One thing tho. Add the pellets very slowly. As in 50ml every week or two. Sonce you have a 50g theres only a 200ml doze. Thats not much in a reactor. For the price tlf is great.

Feivel

Whats your tank size? And are you running a sump? Also keep the putput near the skimmer input.

Djokher

Quote from: rgauvin on September 10, 2012, 10:07:50 AM
My aquarium is smallish at 50 gallons so I don't need anything impressive or huge. Does anyone have any feedback or suggestions for me?

TLF Phosban 150 plenty enough unless you are in to show off.

NjOyRiD

i got a vertex zf-30 on my system :)
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

az

all new tlf reactors come with ball valve so you can adjust flow anytime.
AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

NjOyRiD

Quote from: az on September 10, 2012, 10:03:00 PM

+1 very useful yup
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

Feivel

Feivel

Quote from: az on September 10, 2012, 10:03:00 PM

seriously?wow and the br 70 is more expensive and doesnt come with a ball valve???? like wtf lmao

Djokher

Perhaps no Valve but there is an inverted cone......perfect to keep the media tumbling.....unlike the Vertex Reactor I saw in operation in a member tank.....he was talking to get it out and replace it....and serously those valve are a couple of dollars.