Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Nitrite issues

Started by Richard2311, September 10, 2012, 05:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard2311

Hi all I have a 60 gallon tank and two filters in it.I have been having a nitrite issues and have been losing fish. Got 12 Cardinal tetras and all died in days I have tested everything and all is good except nitrite. I have did water changes last one was yesterday 50% and used water conditioner an still having issues. Any ideas on what I can do. Thx

exv152

How long has your tank been setup?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

1macuser

If its a new tank it sounds as though it hasn't finished going through cycling which could take 2 month but there are lots of factors to look at...over feeding could spike the Nitrites, not doing proper maintenance also to name a few.

daworldisblack

Also Cardinal Tetras are a little more on the sensitive side so with the Nitrites up, they probably succumbed to it. You should ensure your tank is fully cycled - that there is an established bacteria culture that converts ammonia to Nitrites AND another culture that converts Nitrites to Nitrates. I suggest doing a water test to see what your ammonia, nitrate and nitrite levels are to ensure your tank is stable first. Look up cycling tanks - fishless or with fish. Either work although people have differing views on why one is more humane then the other but thats your choice - ultimately you want your tank cycled so that you have a proper environment to introduce more fishes into ( in smaller quantities, over a period of time).

Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

dpatte

higher nitrites are caused by a tank that has an incomplete nitrogen cycle.
please read about cycling your tank.
in the mean time, if you have no place to put your fish, i suggest reducing feeding, and doing a 50% water change per day until your nitrites are down to 0. Don;' forget to add chlorine/chloramine remover while doing the water changes.
1 210g Asian Community planted fast water tank: balas, tiger & black ruby barbs, red-tail black shark, rainbows, loaches, SAEs, gold CAEs, 1500GPH river flow, plus 1500gph filtration.
1 75g African planted tank: 3 synos (had them since the 90s), yellow labs, kribensis.
1 40g breeder, silicone-divided into two - quarantine and nursery.

angelcraze

I am by no means an expert, but I have started a few tanks, and when push comes to shove, and you run out of options, I found that Superbac, and Colony have helped wonders.  (that's if you don't have another established tank to gather beneficial bacteria)  Those products I mentioned are just nytrifying bacteria to help speed up your cycling process, but it's true, a hardier fish might be a better choice while you are cycling.
Good luck:)
Give me ShReD till I'm dEaD!!!

Peekay

You could also put out a call for used filter media... often OVAS'ers are ready to share a bit of ripe sponge.  ;)   Something full of living bacteria will help with your cycle.  What part of town are you in?

tim_s

Hi Richard2311,

I need to know the following information,

1: Tank Temperature
2: Lighting
3: PH
4: Length of time the tank has been running
5: How you are conducting water changes

This will be a good starting point.

dbl_dbl

The chloride ion in Sodium Chloride (aka Aquarium Salt, not to be confused with Marine Salt) inhibits the uptake of Nitrite into the fish. It's a good short term solution, although with a lot of tetras I usually do a lot of small water changes over the next two weeks to remove it from the water (the salt that is)

Usually the symptoms are fish hiding in dead spots near the bottom, or when it's advanced, gasping at the top.

But, as said above, I wouldn't necessary resort to this until you've provided a bit more info, either way good luck!

dpatte

i would do 1/3 water change every day until your nitrite drops to zero.
1 210g Asian Community planted fast water tank: balas, tiger & black ruby barbs, red-tail black shark, rainbows, loaches, SAEs, gold CAEs, 1500GPH river flow, plus 1500gph filtration.
1 75g African planted tank: 3 synos (had them since the 90s), yellow labs, kribensis.
1 40g breeder, silicone-divided into two - quarantine and nursery.