Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

T5 light turns on, then off

Started by SWFan, September 11, 2012, 10:53:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SWFan

Hi Folks,

I have a 4 bulb T5 Tek Light.  On one of my switches (2 bulbs), the lights go on for a a second or two then go right off.  If I try to turn the switch on and off for a few times, then the lights stay on.  Is this a sign that the ballast needs changing? Any advice? Thanks!

kevin

Sounds like a short, SW may have oxidized some wiring, power surge and fault protection shuts it off to protect it. Hard  to say without seeing it.

Philnashbass

How old is the unit and did it just start doing this?
I had a Deep Blue unit that had a similar problem and I took it back to the store within the first year of ownership;. the store exchanged it-they knew of the problem.
If you search on line, you may find its a common problem that the manufacturer may honour with an exchange.
50 gal. CADLights cube with 15 gal. CADlights sump:
CADLights PLS 100 skimmer
AI Vega LED with controller
Ocellaris pair in LTA, Sml. Hippo Tang,  Powder Brown Tang, Favia, Gorgonia, Frog Spawn, Rhodactis, Sun Coral, Open Brain, Colt Coral, Plate Coral

220 gal. with 80 gal. sump:
Vortex IN 280 skimmer
8 Bulb Teklight T5's, Reefbrite actinic
Pair Gold Bar Maroon Clowns (extra lrg. female), Hippo Tang, Lrg. Pink Tail Trigger, Blue Face Angel,  Kole Tang, Humu Humu Trigger,  2 Yellow Tangs...3 RBTA's, Hammer Coral, Torch Coral, Frog Spawn, Leather Coral

SWFan

I bought the unit from someone who had claimed that it is 2 years old.  I don't think it is still under warranty.

ray

Hi Ibrahim

I saw your light and it has had a lot of splashing .So I would contribute your issue to either corrsion on wiring,endcaps etc.The other may be some moisture on the wires that evaporates once it heats up.If it stays lit after a few times I would say there is nothing wrong w/ the ballast itself.

Ray

SWFan

During my maintenance today, I took the bulbs out and gave the unit a quick wipe down. It looks like it did the trick. Thanks everyone, awesome forum!