Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Cheap alternative for background

Started by elk, September 12, 2012, 09:43:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elk

If you like the look of solid black tank backgrounds and dont want to spend lots of money buying one from store.
I cut open a Glad garbage bag and taped it to my 75g planted tank and it looks amazing.

dpatte

yes, i use black or dark green garbage bags as well.
1 210g Asian Community planted fast water tank: balas, tiger & black ruby barbs, red-tail black shark, rainbows, loaches, SAEs, gold CAEs, 1500GPH river flow, plus 1500gph filtration.
1 75g African planted tank: 3 synos (had them since the 90s), yellow labs, kribensis.
1 40g breeder, silicone-divided into two - quarantine and nursery.

sas

Nerine

55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

lucius

I read on some other forums that landscape fabric is a good, cheap alternative also so I'm trying that on my next tank.  The only issue may be that Home Depot, Lowes or CT may not sell it in the winter time so I better go out and get a roll while I still can.

wrm130

There's also spray paint.  Which can easily be scraped off later, though not as easy as removing a garbage bag.  I use garbage bags lol

exv152

Quote from: wrm130 on October 16, 2012, 01:18:38 AM
There's also spray paint.  Which can easily be scraped off later, though not as easy as removing a garbage bag.  I use garbage bags lol
Actually spray paint does work really well, just ensure you're using an acrylic based paint, and it comes off easily with a finger nail.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

76brian

I like latex paint... not only is it water based but it comes off easy. Takes a couple coats using a roller, but it's flawless. I used rustoleum painters touch black.

I painted all 3 sides, and I decided after I put the tank in place that I only wanted 2 sides blacked out, so I sliced the one edge with a razor and I peeled it off. It all came off in one big piece like rubber, and didn't leave a thing behind on the glass. Would acrylic would be too hard/stiff to do that? I think it would chip off rather than peel.

Not as cheap as a garbage bag though... but looks 100% better. Well worth the $15.

greenthumbs

I have used double sided hydroponic plastic which is used for lining your walls. It is black on one side and white on the other. Years ago it was cheap. Its washable, and its thicker than most garbage bags, it takes more strength to stretch the plastic. It reminds me of the same thickness as the plastic store backgrounds, but totally different feel. Maybe some friends or neighbors have some extra ??? lol

dakrazyone

using vinyl material is pretty cheap and easy to apply.  It's the same material as signs/banners from cars and stores.

greenthumbs

I never heard or thought of using vinyl until joining this forum... neato