Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Orange growth

Started by Greatwhite, September 26, 2012, 07:44:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greatwhite

I haven't posted for an ID on anything in a while, but can't tell what this is for sure, and am curious if anyone has an idea. I am thinking that it is just some kind of orange Coraline algae...?

It is popping up all around my tank.  Looks real nice, if you ask me!  :)

Greatwhite

(the pic was super-zoomed with my iPhone...  I should really pull out my DSLR camera for a clearer look)

Greatwhite

Here is another shot, showing the quantity that I am dealing with on one side...

BadTiming

Plating Coraline algea looks similar to mine except it's purple.
Currently upgrading

Feivel

I want some :-)  lol. Have you made any recent additions that could have introduced this to your tank?

Greatwhite

My tank was just rebuilt as a result of a move... All new water, causing a new cycle/etc.  My rock is all 5-7 years old in my tank, so there's really no chance of it having hitch-hiked in on a chunk unless it came along with some coral.  Some rock that previously wasn't lit up probably is now.  The only addition is a flame angel and I don't think he was carrying this in his little suitcase. 

I remember having one tiny piece of it growing before, but it didn't do much of anything.  This stuff is on the tops of almost all the rock, and it sure looks nice under the blues & actinics. :)

Anyhoo - I figured it was a type of coraline... I just having seen plating coraline before.

Severum

Looks really nice. I'd gladly trade my bubble algae outbreak for yours.
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

Greatwhite

Quote from: Severum on September 27, 2012, 10:44:58 AM
Looks really nice. I'd gladly trade my bubble algae outbreak for yours.

Oh, I have enough bubble algae, thanks.  Also just getting over a little cyano bloom as a result of the move and "starting over".