Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Help with Mantis shrimp hitchhiker

Started by SeahorseGuyetGal, October 01, 2012, 09:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeahorseGuyetGal

Just discovered why my small hermits (the smaller ones for now) and snails are disappearing.  I have a small mantis shrimp (greyish in colour and definitely a mantis);  the bugger snapped-up one of the small blue legs up and zipped into the rockwork.

How do I get rid of it? He's small now but I am concerned if he gets big

Also if I catch him alive he's free to anyone who wants him.

SeahorseGuyetGal

Well I got the mantis shrimp.  Sought the advice from other forums who provided quick, useful marine husbandry friendly advice.  Sigh....

sas

Not sure why you didn't get a response, there are certainly many" salties "
on line here who are quite knowledgeable.

SeahorseGuyetGal

Thanks for the reply.  Not sure either. 
I've dealt with a lot of hitchhikers but b/c I'm not familiar with its behavior pattern I was not sure how to trap it or if it could kill the smaller fish such as  my gobies and if possible not kill it.  That's why I posted under the emerg.  Perhaps next time I'll post it general.

Greatwhite

To be honest, I'm on here several times a day - and I didn't see the post at all!  I usually jump at these requests for assistance too.

Glad you were able to catch the little guy.  If you haven't poached him in garlic butter yet, I'm sure there's bound to be someone here who'd love to take him off your hands.

BTW - keep your eyes open for more.  I have heard stories where guys pulled 6-8 mantis shrimp out of the same rock over a week.

SeahorseGuyetGal

Thanks.

Yeah, a colleague of mine pulled two from her rockwork just recently but she killed them in the process.  I didn't want to do this - its not the shrimp's fault he's an effective predator.  I did some reading on them and theyu are really quite incredible little things.  I just didn't want to one day not find my favorite clowns or other critters turned into power food for this guy as he gets bigger.

Greatwhite

Yeah, I've seen some amazing photos of those critters... And there's some neat video on youtube of "Mantis vs Crab" fights.

robt18

blueknight0303

is it a snapper or a spearer? if its a snapper then its no problem for the fishies... but it will destroy any inverts u have... ask marinescape if they are willing to take it off your hands.

if ur trying to catch it.. try using a shrimp bait, put the bait inside a net.. good luck. =)